Friday, April 26, 2019

Van Morrison - Live Rarities, Volume 2: 1971-1973

If you've been following this blog, you'll probably have noticed that I've posted a ton of Van Morrison music, nearly all of it from the late 1960s and 1970s. First, I posted a series of stray tracks albums. He has a phenomenal amount of quality songs from that time period that never made it onto album at the time.


Then, I started posting some live material from him. My live albums from him are meant to complement each other, with almost no instances of the same songs played twice. I recently posted an album called "Live Rarities, 1970-1971," which gathers up all the interesting songs he played in concert that I didn't include elsewhere. This is the second such "Live Rarities" collection. I have three more to go, covering 1973 to 1977.

I have to admit the sound quality on this album isn't always stellar. These often are songs that he played very rarely in concert, sometimes only once. As a result, we're lucky to get any bootleg recordings of them at all. I did use some quality control, omitting songs where the sound quality wasn't good enough for my standards. But some of this comes from audience bootlegs, not pristine soundboards.

Hopefully, the uniqueness of the song choices makes up for the sound quality. All the songs here were very rarely performed, at least in the 1970s. For instance, one might expect that he'd played "Brand New Day" a lot, since it's a popular song from his classic 1970 album "Moondance." But according to setlist.fm, he's only played the song in concert twice in his long career, both in 1973.

1972 is kind of a lost year for Morrison in terms of concert recordings. He played a lot of concerts that year, but very few were bootlegged, and most of those sound awful. So there were some songs he only ever played in 1972  Luckily, I found once decent bootleg and was able to rescue a few of those songs.

This album is 47 minutes long.

01 I Found a Love (Van Morrison, Linda Tillery & Lydia Pense)
02 Rock Me Baby (Van Morrison, Linda Tillery & Lydia Pense)
03 I Will Be There (Van Morrison)
04 Old Old Woodstock (Van Morrison)
05 Little Girl - He Ain't Give You None (Van Morrison)
06 Flamingos Fly (Van Morrison)
07 Brand New Day (Van Morrison)
08 Hard Times [Instrumental] (Van Morrison)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15257173/VanMrsn_1971-1973_LivRritiesVolume2_atse.zip.html

The cover art is based on a concert poster from the Paramount Theatre in 1971. The odd color scheme is exactly the same as the original. However, I shifted up his name in order to squeeze it into a square shape. 

No comments:

Post a Comment