Thursday, April 11, 2019

Buckingham Nicks - Circles in Time - Non-Album Tracks (1975)

As long as I'm posting the Buckingham Nicks concert that I just posted, I want to post something that's very closely related. You as a listener might want to download this, or that, or both.

As I mentioned in my post about that concert, Lindsay Buckingham and Stevie Nicks were in the middle of recording their second Buckingham Nicks studio album, but that never got finished. Apparently, they got the phone call inviting them to join Fleetwood Mac, so that took precedence. Then it seems all the recordings for that second album got lost and/or destroyed, which means we'll never get to hear what that second album would have sounded like.

So instead, I've come up with this, my attempt to recreate that second album as closely as I can. The song list largely overlaps with the songs played in the Tuscaloosa concert I just posted. However, it turns out there was another concert recorded just one day earlier, on January 28, 1975, at the Alabama State Fairgrounds in Birmingham, Alabama. Probably the same person recorded both shows, as the sound quality is excellent for both. Only part of that concert has made it onto bootleg.

I've used performances from that concert whenever possible in order to reduce duplication. The result is that only four of the same performances are on this album and the full Tuscaloosa concert I posted. I also removed all audience noise and talking between songs. Since the sound quality is excellent, I think this sounds like studio recordings and not a concert.

I didn't include any songs from the 1973 Buckingham Nicks album, which eliminates tunes like "Crystal" (which would also appear on the 1975 "Fleetwood Mac" album), "Don't Let Me Down Again," "Frozen Love," and "Long Distance Winner." Three of the songs I have included would be done by Fleetwood Mac for their 1975 album ("Monday Morning," "Blue Letter," and "Rhiannon"), and one more would make it on their 1977 album "Rumours" ("I Don't Want to Know").

I think it's very interesting to hear Buckingham Nicks versions of those songs. This would-be album should have been a big seller just from the inclusion of all time classics like "Monday Morning" and "Rhiannon."

But I think what's most interesting are the inclusion of good songs that got lost and forgotten as the duo joined Fleetwood Mac. "Sorcerer" is one of the best Buckingham Nicks songs, in my opinion, and it's strange that it never got released in the 1970s. Nicks revived it decades later, and it was popular enough to make it onto one of her solo greatest hits albums. It also was recorded around 1973 as an unreleased acoustic demo which I included on the Buckingham Nicks album called the "Coffee Plant Demos." But two other songs here, "Farewell Failure" and "Heartbreaker (Circles in Time)" are also really good original songs that seem to have totally disappeared except for their appearance on the two Buckingham Nicks concert bootlegs from January 1975.

I added one song to the end of this album, "After the Glitter Fades," that is technically a Stevie Nicks recording instead of a Buckingham Nicks one. That's because the song was included on her first solo album, "Bella Donna," in 1971, but this unreleased demo recording dates from around 1975, if not earlier. Furthermore, according to interviews, Nicks says the song was written in 1974, or maybe 1973. So I think the odds are very good that it would have been included on a second Buckingham Nicks album.

If anyone knows the names of the two short guitar instrumentals here, please let me know so I can update the song list. I titled one of them "Little Guitar Thing" only because Buckingham said right before starting the song that he was going to "play a little guitar thing."

01 Monday Morning (Buckingham Nicks)
02 Farewell Failure (Buckingham Nicks)
03 Sorcerer (Buckingham Nicks)
04 You Won't Forget Me (Buckingham Nicks)
05 Blue Letter (Buckingham Nicks)
06 Rhiannon (Buckingham Nicks)
07 Guitar Instrumental (Buckingham Nicks)
08 Heartbreaker [Circles in Time] (Buckingham Nicks)
09 I Don't Want to Know (Buckingham Nicks)
10 Little Guitar Thing [Instrumental] (Buckingham Nicks)
11 After the Glitter Fades (Stevie Nicks)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15302699/FleetwodMc_1975c_BuckinghmNcksCrclesinTime_atse.zip.html

The cover is a photo of Buckingham and Nicks on stage back when they were a duo, around 1974.

3 comments:

  1. I just have to say, man...Stevie's lyrics to "Farewell, Failure" are (like so much of her work) so incredibly ethereal.
    " I was fortune's child for ever
    Finding one,as close as you. Fortune never smiled, or made you love me,too. In a garden without water, flowers never seem to bloom. I was fortune's daughter. I turned to Fortune's fool." WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few thoughts:

    *On the original Bella Donna LP record sleeve, Nicks included the year each song was written next to the title. She cited 1972 for "After the Glitter fades." An interviewer at the time asked her if she really would have written that song when so young and unknown, and she said yes because she was confident she would be successful. So I bet the demo dates to a 1972/1973 timeframe.

    *I'm surprised "Never Going Back Again" from Rumours is not included. It appears in some 1975 Alabama concert recordings and also has been cited by other sources as dating back to the Buckingham Nicks era.

    *I've seen Tusk's "The Ledge" cited as a Buckingham Nicks song by one source, but have never seen confirmation by other sources.

    ReplyDelete