Wednesday, April 10, 2019

The Beatnix - It's Four You (1998)

I'm a huge fan of the Beatles. They're my favorite musical artist, by far. So I think it's a tragedy that there are a bunch of songs they wrote in the 1960s that they never properly recorded.

Luckily, there have been several different musical attempts to rectify this. The most famous is the 2003 album "Lost Songs of Lennon and McCartney." A group of musicians led by Graham Parker and Kate Pierson (of the B-52's) perform 17 of the songs that the Beatles gave to other artists.

I like that one, but my favorite album along those lines is this one, "It's Four You," by the Beatnix. They're an Australian band that's existed since 1980 and does nothing but Beatles covers. Apparently, they're still going strong as a Beatles tribute band. What I like about this album is that they try to do the songs as close to the Beatles style as they can manage. So it's a bit like discovering a lost Beatles album (the vast majority of it in their early style). It's long out of print and goes for big bucks on eBay, so I think it's okay to post it here.

Regarding the songs, John Lennon and Paul McCartney liked giving some of their songs to other artists for various reasons. Generally speaking, they wanted to help other struggling artists make it. For instance, McCartney was seriously romantically involved with a woman named Jane Asher for a few years, and her brother Peter Asher was part of the vocal duo Peter and Gordon. Plus, they were managed by Brian Epstein, who also managed the Beatles. So McCartney gave that duo the songs "A World Without Love," "Nobody I Know," "Woman," and "I Don't Want to See You Again." The first one was a number one hit, and the next two were top 20 hits. Other artists like Billy J. Kramer and the Dakotas or Cilla Black or the Fourmost were also managed by Epstein, the same man who managed the Beatles, and they were given songs to help their careers too.

In a way, these songs were considered the Beatles' rejects, but that's not really the case. In my opinion, nearly all of them are really good songs, worthy of being on Beatles albums. Nearly all of them were hits, with the exceptions of "One and One Is Two," "I Don't Want to See You Again," "Tip of My Tongue," and "I'll Be on My Way." In fact, McCartney wondered if it was just the fact that the songs had "Lennon-McCartney" in the credits that made them hits, so he had the songwriting credit for "Woman" go to the pseudonym "Bernard Webb," and it was a hit anyway.

Out of the 19 Beatles songs on this album, a bunch of them actually were recorded by the Beatles at some point:
If You've Got Trouble
Hello Little Girl
Like Dreamers Do
Step Inside Love
I'll Be on My Way
Love of the Loved

In addition, either Lennon or McCartney made solo demos of these songs that have been officially released or widely bootlegged:
I'm in Love
One and One Is Two
Bad to Me
Goodbye

Furthermore, McCartney made demos of "It's for You" and "A World without Love," but only snippets of less than 30 seconds have been publicly released so far.

So that means 13 of the 19 Beatles songs here either were never done by the Beatles at all or were only done in a very different solo demo form. The odds are that hearing the Beatnix doing them in Beatles style is as close as we'll ever get to hearing the Beatles do these songs.

Note that there are at least another 20 songs the Beatles wrote between 1956 and 1962 that are even more obscure. Some of these include "I Lost My Little Girl," "You'll Be Mine," "In Spite of All the Danger," "Cayenne," "Cry for a Shadow," and "Thinking of Linking." There are still other songs the Beatles gave away or cowrote, such as "Come and Get It" (a big hit for Badfinger), "Catswalk," "Badge" (cowritten by George Harrision and done by Cream), "My Dark Hour" (cowritten by McCartney and done by the Steve Miller Band), and others. On top of that, there are still more songs written after 1962 but never released, such as "Carnival of Light," "Etcetera," "Watching Rainbows," and so on.

By the way, I've added one extra bonus song. As far as I know, the only album the Beatnix ever recorded was this one, but they have one other song that's been officially released. It's a version of Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven," but it's done in the style of the Beatles circa 1963! It's quite amusing. This was part of a 1992 project in Australia by a wide variety of musicians to record "Stairway to Heaven" in vastly different styles. An album was made of it called "The Money or the Gun: Stairways to Heaven," and this extra song comes from that. The whole album is amusing and entertaining, though extremely obscure.

01 I'm in Love (Beatnix)
02 Nobody I Know (Beatnix)
03 If You've Got Trouble (Beatnix)
04 It's for You (Beatnix)
05 Hello Little Girl (Beatnix)
06 Like Dreamers Do (Beatnix)
07 Step Inside Love (Beatnix)
08 Woman (Beatnix)
09 That Means a Lot (Beatnix)
10 I Don't Want to See You Again (Beatnix)
11 One and One Is Two (Beatnix)
12 Bad to Me (Beatnix)
13 Tip of My Tongue (Beatnix)
14 I'll Be on My Way (Beatnix)
15 A World without Love (Beatnix)
16 From a Window (Beatnix)
17 I'll Keep You Satisfied (Beatnix)
18 Love of the Loved (Beatnix)
19 Goodbye (Beatnix)
20 Stairway to Heaven (Beatnix)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15124400/Beatnx_1998_ItsFurYou_atse.zip.html

This cover is the exact cover of the album.

10 comments:

  1. "The Money or the Gun: Stairways to Heaven,"

    Here you go (link live at time of this post)

    http://rockonvinyl.blogspot.com/2016/02/wock-on-vinyl-various-artists-stairways.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I managed to get the cassette version off ebay for a 'price'..

    The version of "Step Inside Love" is excellent, a lot of it is very good, there are a few not-so-great particularly where the Beatles' versions have now been released, so they don't really match up but at least they tried.

    I did track down the "Rubber Soul Project" where a bunch of musicians try to imagine the songs based on only the titles of unheard songs like "Colliding Circles", "Rubber Soul" and "Pink Litmus paper Shirt" - it's mmmmmmmmm.... I'd say it's "not good enough" really. A couple (maybe only one) of the songs has now been released by the Beatles, and is way better than their imaginings. But, hey they had fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that info. I'd never heard of the Rubber Soul Project until you mentioned it. Interesting idea. Although looking at the song titles, most of those songs never existed and were misunderstandings, or are songs the Beatles actually did.

      Delete
  3. Hi... My name is John Taylor. I played Ringo on this album. We actually recorded it in May 1994. I remember it well because my first son was born during one of the sessions! He is named Julian, after you know who. The line-up at the time was Bruce Coble (Lennon), Steven Shipley (McCartney), David Wood (Harrison) and myself. The Beatnix has had many different line-ups over the years. This particular line-up went from 1990 until 1995 and was probably the best - even if I do say so myself :-) You can see the video of us performing Stairway to Heaven if you go to YouTube and type in "Beatnix Stairway to Heaven" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WfoccRna6I - we recorded the audio at EMI Studios in Sydney and the video was recorded at ABC TV Studios a couple of weeks later - miming to the track. Funnily enough, I happened to be browsing one of those dodgy record stores in Hong Kong a few years ago, and happened to find a rip-off version of Abbey Road - spelt "Abby Road" - but the scammers had actually added all of our tracks from It's Four You at the end, stating they were lost Beatles recordings! Haha! I wonder how many people fell for that!! Anyway, thanks for saying the album should exist! I mean, it obviously does, but it never got the recognition it deserved :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, my old neighbors near Washington DC, USA abandoned a copy from 2002. It's all in Chinese (which I don't read) and has the 19 songs from It's Four You, plus Hey Jude, Love Me Do, Yesterday, Let it Be, Yellow Submarine, Tomorrow Never Knows, Love You To, For No One, and I Want to Tell You. I've had it for maybe 10-15 years. I searched periodically to try and figure out what I was listening to, and this is the first time I had any success. My co-workers and I had many discussions of who the artist might be and ended up deciding we liked it and that was most important. Thanks for making it!

      Delete
  4. By the way... I sang the lead vocal on "If You've Got Trouble". I remember some guy coming up to me after a gig once and saying, "Man, you sound just like Ringo!" I was flattered and said, "Wow, thanks!" He then said, "You know... Ringo wasn't very good!" Haha! I think he meant well though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey John T, can I get a copy off of you, I'm in Sydney - a case of beer??

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too am a big Beatles fan. I thought I'd draw your attention to a similar act to these fellas, Octavio Cavalli & Max Gonzalez. They have ten albums out of Beatles, solo, and unreleased. I'd avoid the one I found on Youtube though, it's awful and not representative of the albums at all. You may have to dig a little to find them.

    There's also The Digbees' "Beat the Beatles", a fine parody.

    Your blog is greatly appreciated, thank you kindly for your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that info. I tried looking up these acts you mentioned, but I could only find the album "Whiter" by the first one and nothing by the second one. They seem very obscure - not many Google mentions. Where do you find this stuff?

      Delete