Thursday, April 11, 2019

Robyn Hitchcock - Moss Elixir - Acoustic Versions (1996)

I still have a zillion Robyn Hitchcock albums to post, so here's the next one. It boggles my mind that I've posted 26 of his solo albums so far (not to mention his Soft Boys, and I've only made it about halfway through his solo career, while he continues to put out more new music every year! And those are all albums I've compiled, on top of the many studio albums he put out during that time period!

In 1996, Hitchcock released the mostly acoustic album "Moss Elixir." But while it generally had an acoustic sound, there were bass and drums and other instruments on nearly all of the songs. So this is the pure acoustic version, featuring just Hitchcock and his acoustic guitar.

As usual, I took the recordings from concert bootlegs, with the audience noise removed. Generally speaking, the sound quality is excellent. All the performances are unreleased, except for "I Am Not Me," which comes from the archival box set "Bad Case of History." But five of the other performances are studio demos that somehow leaked out, and a couple more come from in-person radio performances. Most or all of the three remaining songs come from soundboard bootlegs.

I recently posted my version of the album "Mossy Liquor," which essentially are the 1996 leftovers from the "Moss Elixir" sessions. For this album, I was able to find acoustic versions of all 12 songs on "Moss Elixir," plus two of the songs from "Mossy Liquor."

01 Sinister but She Was Happy (Robyn Hitchcock)
02 The Devil's Radio (Robyn Hitchcock)
03 Heliotrope (Robyn Hitchcock)
04 Alright, Yeah (Robyn Hitchcock)
05 Filthy Bird (Robyn Hitchcock)
06 The Speed of Things (Robyn Hitchcock)
07 Beautiful Queen (Robyn Hitchcock)
08 Man with a Woman's Shadow (Robyn Hitchcock)
09 I Am Not Me (Robyn Hitchcock)
10 De Chirico Street (Robyn Hitchcock)
11 You and Oblivion [Solo Electric Version] (Robyn Hitchcock)
12 This Is How It Feels (Robyn Hitchcock)
13 Shuffling Over the Flagstones [Instrumental] (Robyn Hitchcock)
14 Each of Her Silver Wands (Robyn Hitchcock)
15 Trilobite (Robyn Hitchcock)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15272163/RobynH_1996_MossElixAcousticVersions_atse.zip.html

I had a hard time figuring out a good cover for this album. I couldn't find anything from 1996. However, there's an interesting cover for the 1995 single "I Something You." It has no words on it other than Hitchcock's name. So I moved his name over to make room for the album title.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, any chance of a new link? I downloaded all the other Hitchcocks today. Thanks for those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for helping to find the dead links. I just updated this one.

      Delete