Friday, April 19, 2019

Brinsley Schwarz - Don't Lie to Me - Non-Album Tracks (1974-1975)

A couple of weeks ago, I posted an album of stray tracks for Brinsley Schwarz. Here's a second such album. That band didn't have a very long career, so this finishes off all the stray tracks I have for them. The main singer and songwriter in the band was Nick Lowe, so finishing this off will allow me to move on to Lowe's solo career, as well as his career with Rockpile. But if you like Lowe and/or Rockpile, don't miss these Brinsley Schwarz albums. It's very, very similar.

About a third of the songs here come from BBC performances, another third are from concert bootlegs with the audience noise removed, and the remaining third are rare studio tracks, mostly A- and B-sides. Brinsley Schwarz's proper studio albums were mostly filled with original songs. But the vast majority of songs here are cover versions. Regarding the live songs, luckily, they come from sources with very good sound quality.

The 18 songs here total 54 minutes, not counting the bonus track.

The bonus track, a cover of the Rolling Stones classic "Brown Sugar," comes from the exact same concert as some of the other songs here. But it doesn't sound as good as the others, so it's only a bonus track. I think it's because the crowd was more boisterous through most of the song.

01 Don't Lie to Me (Brinsley Schwarz)
02 You Been Cheating (Brinsley Schwarz)
03 I'll Be Doggone (Brinsley Schwarz)
04 Save the Last Dance for Me (Brinsley Schwarz)
05 You Ain't Livin' Till You're Lovin' (Brinsley Schwarz)
06 Honky Tonk (Brinsley Schwarz)
07 You're So Fine (Brinsley Schwarz)
08 Hip City (Brinsley Schwarz)
09 Hey Bartender (Brinsley Schwarz)
10 I Ain't Never (Brinsley Schwarz)
11 Walking the Dog (Brinsley Schwarz)
12 I've Cried My Last Tear (Brinsley Schwarz)
13 Day Tripper (Brinsley Schwarz)
14 Slow Down (Brinsley Schwarz)
15 Snatch It Back and Hold It (Brinsley Schwarz)
16 Tell Me Why (Brinsley Schwarz)
17 I Should Have Known Better (Brinsley Schwarz)
18 Give Me Back My Love (Brinsley Schwarz)
19 There's a Cloud in My Heart (Brinsley Schwarz)

Brown Sugar (Brinsley Schwarz)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15904546/BrinsleyS_1974-1975_DntLietoMe_atse.zip.html

It's very hard to find good color photos of Brinsley Schwarz that aren't already used for official album covers or the like. I found this photo on the back of a bootleg. I have no idea when or where it's from. I wish I had a good photo of all five band members, but this was the best I could do.

When I updated this album in February 2021, I updated the cover photo too. It's the same photo as before, but I used some Photoshop tricks to hopefully sharpen the image a bit, and improve the overly red colors somewhat.

No comments:

Post a Comment