Friday, April 26, 2019

The White Stripes - Walking with a Ghost - Non-Album Tracks (2004-2005)

A couple of days ago, I accidentally posted a White Stripes stray tracks album I'd posted already. Luckily, The_Lighthouse noticed this right away, and I deleted it. This is the album I'd meant to post instead.

The White Stripes pretty much have an album of stray tracks for each studio album they released. This is essentially the companion album to their 2005 album "Get Behind Me Satan." About half of the songs here are officially released, with four of those from A- or B-sides, and another from an EP. There also is a Jack White solo song ("City Lights"), and two more songs related to a Loretta Lynn album he was heavily involved with at the time ("Van Lear Rose" and "Portland, Oregon,") "Whispering Sea" is a Lynn song from around 1960.

The unreleased songs that make up up the other half of this album generally come from concert bootlegs. I think more than any time before or since, the White Stripes in 2005 played a wide variety of cover songs in concert. I listened to several dozen rare songs played by them then. Unfortunately, I had to eliminate most of them due to sound quality issues, since they often played a song just once or twice, and the odds were it would only get recorded on an average sounding audience bootleg. Also, many times they would only play a minute or so of a song instead of the full thing, so I eliminated those too.

Happily, I was still left with a handful of songs. Generally speaking, they were the ones the band played a dozen times or more, enough so there was at least one well recorded version. Most of these are old blues songs drastically transformed into the White Stripes style, like Bob Dylan's "Outlaw Blues," or Son House's "Grinnin' in Your Face" or Robert Johnson's "Stones in My Passway." "Small Faces" is a 1968 song by the very obscure garage rock band "Public Nuisance." "Jack on Fire" is a 1980s song by the Gun Club. "Jack the Ripper" is from 1963, by Screaming Lord Sutch.

There are many more songs I wish I could have included, but didn't due to the sound quality issues I mentioned above. But I picked what I consider two of the best of these and added them as bonus tracks. "I'm Sorry" is a Bo Diddley song and "You Belong to Me" was a big hit in 1952.

01 Outlaw Blues - Jack the Ripper (White Stripes)
02 Walking with a Ghost (White Stripes)
03 Shelter of Your Arms (White Stripes)
04 Top Special (White Stripes)
05 Whispering Sea (White Stripes)
06 Though I Hear You Calling, I Will Not Answer (White Stripes)
07 Grinnin' in Your Face (White Stripes)
08 Van Lear Rose (Jack White)
09 Stones in My Passway (White Stripes)
10 Jack on Fire (White Stripes)
11 Portland, Oregon (Loretta Lynn & Jack White)
12 Small Faces (White Stripes)
13 Folk Singer (White Stripes)
14 City Lights (White Stripes)

I'm Sorry (White Stripes)
You Belong to Me (White Stripes)

https://www.imagenetz.de/jWMss

The cover is the cover to the "Walking with a Ghost" EP, with no changes whatsoever.

No comments:

Post a Comment