Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Maria McKee - Acoustic Versions, Volume 1: 1989

Back in 2019, I posted an album of acoustic performances by Maria McKee. Writing this in November 2022, I've come across more acoustic versions, enough to split that album in two.

Maria McKee was the lead singer of the band Lone Justice from 1982 to 1987. Her solo career effectively started in 1989 with the release of her first solo album, simply called "Maria McKee." She had lots of songs she wanted to do in an acoustic format, because I have enough material from 1989 for this album plus a few more on "Volume 2."

I didn't include any versions of rare songs that happen to be done acoustically. I'm putting those on other McKee albums. This only consists of songs from her studio albums, or from Lone Justice albums, done in an acoustic style. McKee is such a powerful singer that it often is even more impressive hearing her nail these songs without lots of distracting instrumentation.

All the performances here are unreleased. They either come from bootlegs of concerts or radio shows. For the ones from concerts, I did my best to eliminate the sound of cheering so they'd fit in with the radio show ones with no crowd noise.

This album is 43 minutes long.

01 Am I the Only One [Who's Ever Felt This Way] (Maria McKee)
02 I've Forgotten What It Was in You [That Put the Need in Me] (Maria McKee)
03 Panic Beach (Maria McKee)
04 This Property Is Condemned (Maria McKee)
05 Shelter (Maria McKee)
06 Nobody's Child (Maria McKee)
07 To Miss Someone (Maria McKee)
08 Drinking in My Sunday Dress (Maria McKee)
09 Into the Mystic (Maria McKee)
10 Breathe (Maria McKee)
11 Hickory Wind (Maria McKee)
12 Troubled Waters (Maria McKee)

https://www.imagenetz.de/j67be


The picture of McKee comes from the video of her playing "Rattlesnake Mama" in 1995. That's not very close to 1989 in time, but this was the cover of the album before I split it in two, so I thought I'd still use it.

4 comments: