Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Los Lobos - Little Heaven - Non-Album Tracks (1999)

1999 was a busy year for Los Lobos-related album releases. Los Lobos released the album "This Time," and the two main singer-songwriters in the band, David Hidalgo and Cesar Rosas, released the second album from their experimental side project band, the Latin Playboys, called "Dose." On top of that, Rosas released his first solo album, "Soul Disguise."

Unfortunately, I feel Hidalgo and Rosas spent too much time on their side projects and not enough on Los Lobos itself, because "This Time" was far below the standards the band set with previous albums, especially the pinnacle of "Kiko" earlier in the decade. I was so disappointed by the album that I only found four songs on it that I liked. So what I've done here is combined the three Los Lobos-related 1999 albums to make one album of their best material that year.

If you own "This Time" and like all or most of the songs on it, this probably isn't the album for you. Although if you remove the songs from "This Time" here, you'd still get a 30-minute-long album, since I think a majority of the good songs they did in 1999 came out on other albums.

Los Lobos was busy in the 1990s putting out songs for soundtracks and various artists compilations, but I only know of one such song from 1999. That's a cover of the classic Jimi Hendrix song "Are You Experienced." So I've included that at the end. 

"I Love Every Little Thing about You" is a cover of a Stevie Wonder song. This version is from a concert bootleg. It was possibly the only time they played it concert.

This album is 44 minutes long.

UPDATE: On February 1, 2024, I updated the mp3 download file. I added "I Love Every Little Thing about You."

01 Latin Trip (Latin Playboys)
02 Little Heaven (Cesar Rosas)
03 I Love Every Little Thing about You (Los Lobos)
04 Shack and Shamb (Cesar Rosas)
05 Lemon 'n Ice (Latin Playboys)
06 Soul Disguise (Cesar Rosas)
07 Struck (Cesar Rosas)
08 This Time (Los Lobos)
09 Oh Yeah (Los Lobos)
10 Viking (Los Lobos)
11 Turn Around (Los Lobos)
12 Are You Experienced (Los Lobos)

https://www.upload.ee/files/16231803/LOSLBS1999_LttlHevn_atse.zip.html

The cover was made by Peter of the Albums I Wish Existed blog. I'm not sure where he found the art for the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment