Thursday, September 30, 2021

Aretha Franklin - Tree of Life - Non-Album Tracks (1972-1973)

Aretha Franklin released studio albums in 1972 and 1973. But she easily had enough material for another album, as you can see here.

The first seven songs, plus the last one, all come from the archival release "Rare and Unreleased Recordings from the Golden Age of the Queen of Soul." The next two come, "How I Got Over" and "Old Landmark," from the live album "Amazing Grace." I know lots of people rave about that album, but I'm not into gospel music. These two songs are ones I like, probably because they're more lively. In fact, I believe James Brown performed "Old Landmark" in the 1980 movie "The Blues Brothers."

The song "Somethin' Stupid" stupid is an unreleased studio outtake. Frank Sinatra and his daughter Nancy had a big hit with it in 1967.  "It Takes Two to Tango" is an unreleased duet between Aretha Franklin and Ray Charles, from a 1973 TV show.

This album is 42 minutes long.

01 Sweetest Smile and the Funkiest Style (Aretha Franklin)
02 This Is (Aretha Franklin)
03 Do You Know (Aretha Franklin)
04 Tree of Life (Aretha Franklin)
05 Can You Love Again (Aretha Franklin)
06 I Want to Be with You (Aretha Franklin)
07 Suzanne (Aretha Franklin)
08 How I Got Over (Aretha Franklin)
09 Old Landmark (Aretha Franklin)
10 Somethin' Stupid (Aretha Franklin)
11 It Takes Two to Tango (Aretha Franklin & Ray Charles)
12 The Happy Blues (Aretha Franklin)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15113504/ArethaF_1972-1973_TreeofLfe_atse.zip.html

I gave this album the title "Tree of Life" because that's the name of one of the songs in it, and it sounds like a worthy album title to me. After I did that and I considered what the album cover should be, I decided to go for a literal interpretation instead of using a photo of Franklin, as I'd usually do. I did an image search for the phrase "tree of life," and found a painting by Lioudmila Perry by that name that I liked. I hope she doesn't mind me using it for the cover. If so, I'd be happy to change it to something else.

3 comments: