Sunday, March 22, 2020

More on Vitamin D

I hope everyone is staying healthy and practicing social distancing so we can defeat the coronavirus. This virus is very real and very serious, and the sooner you realize that and act on that, the safer you'll be. Back on March 6, I posted that the one simple thing you can do that would best boost your immune system against respiratory illnesses like the virus is take daily vitamin D supplements. I'm repeating that message here in case you missed it, and because I've seen more information supporting it.

For instance, this New York Times article "Can I Boost My Immune System" lists several things you can do, which all sound sensible to me. But note vitamin D's prominent position as the most recommended supplement to take.

lower your stress level
sleep well
take vitamin D
don't drink too much alcohol
eat a balanced diet
exercise
(although the article doesn't mention it, another obvious one is: don't smoke)

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/10/well/live/can-i-boost-my-immune-system.html

Also, I've been watching Dr. John Campbell's daily updates about the virus crisis. He's a very knowledgeable and sensible medical expert, so you might also want to check out his updates. He put out a special video about vitamin D a couple of days ago, which you can see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5yVGmfivAk

In it, he cites studies that suggest if you don't have a vitamin D deficiency, taking the vitamin daily could boost your body's defenses against respiratory illnesses like the coronavirus by 20 percent. But if you do have a deficiency, it could boost your body's defenses by 70 percent! That's huge! So that's why I'm taking a minute to write about something other than music to pass that info on, because I don't think that information has been discussed in the mainstream media enough so far.

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You're welcome. By the way, I'm also taking vitamin C and zinc. They may not help much, but they might help a little.

      Delete