Sunday, November 10, 2019

Steve Miller Band - Acoustic (1972-1974)

Yesterday, I was listening to "Welcome to the Vault," the new box set by the Steve Miller Band. It's a mixed bad, like most box set, but it has some nice stuff on it. Anyway, I was particularly struck by two solo acoustic versions of songs, "Kow Kow Calculator" and "Seasons," both recorded in 1973. If you've been closely following this blog, you've probably noticed that I have a particular love of acoustic guitar music. So hearing those songs made me wonder if there was more acoustic goodness where that came from.

It turns out there was. Miller has never done a fully "unplugged" album or concert, at least as far as I know. But he has flirted with the format from time to time, especially in the early 1970s. I got lucky and found two soundboard bootlegs of Miller concerts, one from 1972 and the other from 1974. Both of them had acoustic sections, and I've used those for the majority of this album.

The 1972 concert makes up the first six tracks. On some of the songs, Miller is accompanied by bass, bongo drums, and/or backing vocals, but thing definitely stay acoustic. The first song probably has the worst sound quality of all the songs here, due to some wobbling in the volume. I tried to fix it as best I could. But even the "worst" still sounds very good.

The seventh song, a medley of "Blues with a Feeling" and "Call It Stormy Monday," needs some special explanation. Miller was doing some concerts in the Netherlands at the time, and a reporter found him at the bar of a hotel. The bar was still under construction, and from the recording, it appears the only people there were a handful of hotel employees and construction workers. The reporter had a tape recorder and recorded Miller singing a few songs with his acoustic guitar. I only included the one medley, because the others were mostly Miller talking and joking with the few other people there, while occasionally stopping and starting songs. Even on this medley, you'll notice him changing the lyrics and making comments in the middle of the song as part of his interaction with the extremely tiny audience.

After that comes the two "Welcome to the Vault" songs I mentioned above. They are the only officially released songs on the album.

The last six songs are from the 1974 concert I also mentioned above. As with the songs from the 1972 show, I removed the audience noise as much as possible, so they'd fit in with the studio tracks.

Miller is best known for his many hits in the mid-1970s. But while those are deservedly popular, I actually prefer his albums from the late 1960s and early 1970s. (Those years seem to be a common theme at this blog!) If you give this album a listen, maybe you'll see how good he was before all those hits. That said, one clear highlight here is the solo acoustic version of his number one hit, "The Joker."

When I started looking for acoustic Miller songs yesterday, I didn't know how much I'd find. I ended up coming with 45 minutes of music, which makes for a nice album length.

01 Going to the Country (Steve Miller Band)
02 The Sun Is Going Down (Steve Miller Band)
03 Journey from Eden (Steve Miller Band)
04 Motherless Children (Steve Miller Band)
05 Nothing Lasts (Steve Miller Band)
06 High On You Mama (Steve Miller Band)
07 Blues with a Feeling - Call It Stormy Monday (Steve Miller Band)
08 Kow Kow Calculator [Acoustic Version] (Steve Miller Band)
09 Seasons [Acoustic Version] (Steve Miller Band)
10 Rock Love (Steve Miller Band)
11 Come On in My Kitchen (Steve Miller Band)
12 Going to Mexico (Steve Miller Band)
13 I Love You (Steve Miller Band)
14 Dear Mary (Steve Miller Band)
15 The Joker (Steve Miller Band)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15266566/SteveMB_1972-1974_Acoustc_atse.zip.html

The cover art photo comes from a 1974 TV performance.

7 comments:

  1. the 2nd song is not heal your heart but another version Seasons?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you're right. Thanks for catching that so quickly. I should have known better. The bootleg I got the first bunch of songs had most of the titles wrong. For instance, "Motherless Children" was called "Family Matters." But that one slipped by me.

      I've just updated the file and the post and removed the song. The other version of "Seasons" is better.

      Delete
  2. What you have labeled as "Midnight Flyer" is actually "Journey From Eden" from Miller's 1972 qlbum of the same name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the link is dead. Is it possible to fix that in time?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks a lot for all your efforts in re-doing all the links!!

    ReplyDelete