Monday, April 30, 2018

Traffic - BBC Sessions, Volume 3: In Concert, Paris Theatre, London, Britain, 4-30-1970

There are two Traffic concerts in 1970 recorded with excellent sound and later released on bootlegs. Both of them have similar setlists, which lean heavily on the "John Barleycorn" album. One, in April, is from an "In Concert" John Peel show in London on the BBC. The other is from the Fillmore East in New York City in November.

What I've done is present the entire London show, but with commentary from Peel between songs removed. Then I've added in all the songs performed in the Fillmore show that weren't performed at the other show. There were four of them, and I've put those near the end. Also, I adjusted the volume of the audience noise after the Fillmore songs to match the London songs, so it all sounds like one concert. (The music for the different shows were at a similar level, but the audience noise was much louder at one than the other.)

The result is a kind of ultimate 1970 Traffic show, including virtually all the songs they played live that year. It totals an hour and 18 minutes, which would have made a good double album for that era. If you want only one live show from Traffic in 1970, it should be this one.

01 Who Knows What Tomorrow Will Bring (Traffic)
02 Every Mother's Son (Traffic)
03 No Time to Live (Traffic)
04 Medicated Goo (Traffic)
05 John Barleycorn (Traffic)
06 Pearly Queen (Traffic)
07 Stranger to Himself (Traffic)
08 Empty Pages (Traffic)
09 Glad (Traffic)
10 Freedom Rider (Traffic)
11 Heaven Is in Your Mind (Traffic)
12 [Roamin' thro' the Gloamin' With] 40,000 Headmen (Traffic)
13 Means to an End (Traffic)
14 Dear Mr. Fantasy (Traffic)
15 Can't Find My Way Home (Traffic)

https://www.imagenetz.de/kMP34

Originally, I used the cover of a popular bootleg for this concert. But much later, I decided it simply wasn't a very good picture. So I replaced it with a photo of the band playing at Middlesborough, Britain, in March 1970.

6 comments:

  1. I am sorry but I personally have to take exception to this one because I was at the Fillmore show. I gave the program to an old friend for Christmas about 12 years ago. He was ecstatic. This is one concert that I love the way it was, the way I saw it. I only wish the other 2 acts that were on the bill were available. The opening act was T.Rex and the second act was Cat Stevens with Alun Davies accompanying him on acoustic guitar. A great night all around. I spent many a night at the Fillmore East. I was there for quite a few LIVE albums; Derek & the Dominoes, Allman Brothers, Humble Pie, Johnny Winter. I found a Santana concert I was at that was never released from April , 1971. Anyway, leave this Traffic concert as is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's great (but I wasn't expecting to hear a show I attended). Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea! i saw Traffic live in Gothenburg 1970 which was good but marred by bad sound.. love this..thanks for this and a lot of other really inspired ideas and music!

    Stuffy from Sweden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the thanks. And I envy you for getting to see them in 1970!

      Delete
  4. Just an FYI...you mention that the total length is around 123 minutes, but it actually appears to be about 40 minutes less than that, or 82+ minutes. Regardless, you did a good job on this, and I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I just fixed that. It must have been a mistake on my part. I think I had a brain fart and calculated that an hour is 100 minutes long!

      Delete