Saturday, April 21, 2018

The Grateful Dead – Days Between - Non-Album Tracks (1995)

With the exception of one minor tweak, this album reconstruction is not my work. Instead, I found on the web someone else who did a much better job than I could (since that person is a die-hard Deadhead and I’m not). I’m just passing this on in hopes of giving it more exposure. Apparently, the person who did it is Tony Sclafani, author of the book the "Grateful Dead FAQ."

In short, the Dead had come up with a bunch of songs for a new album in the 1990s, but they never really got it together in the studio before Jerry Garcia died in 1995. So what Sclafani did was take the best versions for that album that could have been. Most of them are live versions, but they’re taken from flawless soundboards and the crowd noise is edited out, so you’d never know they weren’t studio tracks. The work done on this really is impressive.

The actual surviving Grateful Dead members toyed with putting out an album of these songs after Garcia died, but they never got it together and instead put some tracks out on the "So Many Roads" box set. You can read about the “lost album” here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unfinished_Grateful_Dead_album

I swear, the Dead should just release Sclafani’s version! The studio versions from the box set generally lack inspiration and energy, so Sclafani only used two of those.

Note that I did not include four of the songs on Sclafani's version: "Liberty," "Corinna," "Way to Go Home" and "Lazy River Road." That's because this album is already quite long as it is (57 minutes), and those songs will eventually fit onto a stray tracks album for the time period just prior to this.

01 Easy Answers (Grateful Dead)
02 So Many Roads (Grateful Dead)
03 Eternity (Grateful Dead)
04 Childhood's End (Grateful Dead)
05 Whiskey in a Jar (Grateful Dead)
06 Wave to the Wind (Grateful Dead)
07 Samba in the Rain (Grateful Dead)
08 If the Shoe Fits (Grateful Dead)
09 Salt Lake City (Grateful Dead)
10 Days Between (Grateful Dead)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15119099/TGratefulD_1993-1995_DysBetween_atse.zip.html

I don't remember where I got the album cover from. I think I just found some fan-made art using Google. Sorry that I can credit whoever made it.

7 comments:

  1. For any Deadheads who need a fix then try this site http://saveyourface.posthaven.com/. They do the odd mainstream comp as well - the Velvets and Steely Dan are recent additions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey now-Thats my Batik image your using. Doesn't hurt to tag the artist;)
    @treetownbatiks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey now-Thats my Batik image your using. Doesn't hurt to tag the artist;)
    @treetownbatiks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry. I randomly found that on the Internet. Thanks for making that nice image! If you have a website link, I can add it into my blog post.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  4. The new zip has Easy Answers as track 1, not Liberty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, you're right. That's on purpose. I changed the text to explain why. Thanks for pointing that out.

      Delete