Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Cat Stevens - Morgan Studios Demos 1971

Here's the second of the two acoustic Cat Stevens albums. Don't be fooled by the similar album covers and titles - these contain completely different songs, with no overlap.

I said pretty much all I needed to be said when I posted the first one. So I'll just emphasize that if you like Cat Stevens' music at all, you really need to listen to this. The sound quality is great.

Also, sadly, there's no publicly available demos from 1972 or beyond. Even the live acoustic shows disappear after 1971. I suppose he switched to more of a full band sound at that point.

Note that since I first posted this album around 2019, super deluxe editions of his albums "Tea for the Tillerman" and "Teaser and the Firecat" have been released. Between them, the vast majority of these versions have now been officially released.

Three of the songs here are still unreleased though: "Trouble," "If You Want to Sing Out, Sing Out," and "Peace Train." However, in my opinion, the bootleg sound quality is so good that you can't tell the difference. I carefully checked the official and unofficial versions, and I discovered that two of them were totally different performances. So I've put one of each of those on the "Morgan Studio Demos 1970" album, and one here. Those are the first two songs on this one.

This album is 36 minutes long.

01 Trouble [Alternate Version] (Cat Stevens)
02 If You Want to Sing Out, Sing Out [Alternate Version] (Cat Stevens)
03 Tuesday's Dead (Cat Stevens)
04 Moonshadow (Cat Stevens)
05 Peace Train (Cat Stevens)
06 Don't Be Shy (Cat Stevens)
07 Rubylove (Cat Stevens)
08 If I Laugh (Cat Stevens)
09 Changes IV (Cat Stevens)
10 How Can I Tell You (Cat Stevens)
11 Morning Has Broken (Cat Stevens)

https://www.imagenetz.de/gpAh4

I'm not sure what year the cover art photo is from exactly, but it's around 1971.

5 comments:

  1. You're posting so much I'm having a hard time keeping up! Thank you for Cat Stevens. Always been one of my favorites, Especially this period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can post a lot fast because I've been organizing my music collection this way for many years, and I've never shared any of it before. I have literally hundreds of albums I can post here. Pretty much all the work was done by me long ago and all I have to do is zip the files up, write a blurb, and figure something out for the artwork, if I don't have any already. Actually, the artwork is probably the hardest part, but I often can find something on Google in a couple of minutes and then whip something up in Photoshop in less than five minutes.

      But I could use help on the art, esp. when it comes to finding great, relevant pictures to work from.

      Delete
  2. Hi Paul ,Please can you share this Cat stevens demo again I will be very happy if you did ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just updated it. Changed a couple of songs as well.

      Delete