Saturday, April 28, 2018

Richard Thompson - Mirror Blue - Acoustic Version (1994)

Richard Thompson is another one of the all-time musical greats in my opinion, both for his work with Fairport Convention and solo. I plan on posting a lot of his stuff here.

In 1994, he put out the album "Mirror Blue." But, as the Wikipedia article on his says: "'Mirror Blue' was released in 1994 to often negative reviews sparked by the production decisions that Thompson and [producer Mitchell] Froom took."

I have to agree - the production was bad. Luckily, Thompson did many appearances at radio stations to promote the album, playing the songs in solo acoustic style. I was able to find 10 out of the 12 songs from the album performed that way, in excellent sound quality and without any noise. So that's this album, plus two cover versions of Buddy Holly songs added at the end that he also did during those radio shows.

This is about as close as you can get to a studio-quality acoustic version of the album, freeing it of its poor production.

01 Taking My Business Elsewhere (Richard Thompson)
02 Beeswing (Richard Thompson)
03 King of Bohemia (Richard Thompson)
04 Mingus Eyes (Richard Thompson)
05 I Can't Wake Up to Save My Life (Richard Thompson)
06 MGB-GT (Richard Thompson)
07 Easy There, Steady Now (Richard Thompson)
08 I Ride in Your Slipstream (Richard Thompson)
09 For the Sake of Mary (Richard Thompson)
10 Shane and Dixie (Richard Thompson)
11 Learning the Game (Richard Thompson)
12 Well... All Right (Richard Thompson with T-Bone Burnett)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15852406/RichrdT_1994_MirrrBlueAcoustc_atse.zip.html

I don't know where or when the cover photo is from.

5 comments:

  1. one can never get enough of Richard Thompson, Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a huge fan of the released version of Mirror Blue, I am interested to see how this version compares. Thank you very much for putting it together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Please let me know what you think once you hear it.

      Delete
    2. After not getting into it the first time through, I put this on the shelf. I just listened to it again and finally gave it a fair chance... wow, is this good. It really does sound like a studio album. Some songs I prefer the official version (like Taking My Business Elsewhere) and some songs are just amazing in any version (like Beeswing or King of Bohemia), but some songs are really improved in your version, particularly MGB-GT and I Ride In Your Slipstream.

      Thank you very much for putting it together.

      Delete
    3. You're welcome. Although in this case I can't take much credit, because someone else (I forget who) collected all the radio show versions. But that collection had many, many repeats of the same song, and I boiled it down to just one version for each song.

      Delete