Saturday, April 21, 2018

Bonnie Raitt – Jabberwocky Club, Syracuse, NY, 3-27-1971

Bonnie Raitt was a different artist in the early years of her career, playing mostly in an acoustic blues style. This period is poorly represented on official record, especially since there are no live albums from her at all until the 1990s. Luckily, there are some excellent radio shows of her playing in the studio with high quality sound.

Here’s the earliest one I know of, recorded six months before her first album came out. I count no less than 14 songs out of the 23 here that never showed up on any of her official albums! At an hour and a half, it would have made a great double album to kickstart her career.

If all you know is the Bonnie Raitt from the late 1980s onwards, with her mainstream pop rock hits, you might want to give this a try anyway. I like it a lot better then her later stuff.
This album is an hour and 28 minutes long.

01 talk (Bonnie Raitt)
02 Something in the Way He Moves (Bonnie Raitt)
03 talk (Bonnie Raitt)
04 Mighty Tight Woman (Bonnie Raitt)
05 talk (Bonnie Raitt)
06 Bluebird (Bonnie Raitt)
07 talk (Bonnie Raitt)
08 Going Down to Louisiana - Rollin' and Tumblin' (Bonnie Raitt)
09 talk (Bonnie Raitt)
10 You Can Close Your Eyes (Bonnie Raitt)
11 talk (Bonnie Raitt)
12 Richland Woman Blues (Bonnie Raitt)
13 talk (Bonnie Raitt)
14 Blender Blues (Bonnie Raitt)
15 talk (Bonnie Raitt)
16 In My Reply (Bonnie Raitt)
17 talk (Bonnie Raitt)
18 Write Me a Few of Your Lines - Kokomo Blues (Bonnie Raitt)
19 talk (Bonnie Raitt)
20 Your Song (Bonnie Raitt)
21 Set You Free This Time (Bonnie Raitt)
22 Special Delivery Blues (Bonnie Raitt)
23 talk (Bonnie Raitt)
24 Woodstock (Bonnie Raitt)
25 talk (Bonnie Raitt)
26 Big Road (Bonnie Raitt)
27 talk (Bonnie Raitt)
28 I Ain't Blue (Bonnie Raitt)
29 talk (Bonnie Raitt)
30 Finest Lovin' Man (Bonnie Raitt)
31 talk (Bonnie Raitt)
32 Candy Man (Bonnie Raitt)
33 talk (Bonnie Raitt)
34 Walking Blues (Bonnie Raitt)
35 talk (Bonnie Raitt)
36 Can I Get a Witness (Bonnie Raitt)
37 talk (Bonnie Raitt)
38 Country Road (Bonnie Raitt)
39 talk (Bonnie Raitt)
40 Can't Find My Way Home (Bonnie Raitt)
41 talk (Bonnie Raitt)
42 Since I Fell for You (Bonnie Raitt)
43 talk (Bonnie Raitt)
44 Love in Vain (Bonnie Raitt)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15602566/BonniR_1971a_JabberwckyClubSyracuseNY__3-27-1971_atse.zip.html

Originally, I used cover art from a bootleg of the concert. But many months later, I decided the main photo wasn't up to snuff and found a better one. This one is from the Philadelphia Folk Festival in 1971. However, the text and colors at the top are still largely based on those of that bootleg cover I first used.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, rats! 'No longer available'. I REALLY wanted to own this gem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, I just fixed the link.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Paul. God only knows how I stumbled upon this site, but I've really enjoyed my time here. Thanks so much for all of your time & effort in putting these terrific compilations together. A lot of folks really appreciate it, as do I!

      Delete
    3. You're welcome. Thanks for the kind comments. :)

      Delete
  2. This was in a "coffeehouse" basement under my dorm! Also booked Tom Rush, James Taylor...others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you! I have a few great bootlegs from there, including the James Taylor one.

      Delete
  3. 18 of the songs are listed on setlist.fm, with the artists she's covering (useful info in parentheses!). Needs to be expanded of course. (I notice Elton John and Gene Clark song titles above)
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bonnie-raitt/1971/jabberwocky-syracuse-ny-1bca312c.html

    ReplyDelete