Joel struggled for a few years in various bands, including a stint in a heavy metal duo called Attila that he would prefer to forget. In 1971, he changed direction and released his first album, "Cold Spring Harbor," in singer-songwriter mode. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is the first live bootleg of him, from just after that album came out. The album didn't make much of a mark, being released on a small record label, so we're lucky to have this recording at all.
However, there's a big downside in that we only 19 minutes of that radio broadcast. That's probably all there is, since it's likely he had to share the program with one or more other musical acts, due to him not having a well known name at the time.
Nineteen minutes isn't very long for an album. So I asked musical friend Mike Solof for advice, since he's a big Billy Joel fan. He pointed me to another radio show Joel did about two months later. It's a broadcast of a few songs from a club in San Francisco. A couple of songs were the same, so I didn't include them. But the other four were different, so this other song fills out this album to a reasonable length very nicely.
The last song, "Josephine," has "[Edit]" in its title. That's because a small chunk of the middle of the song was missing. Luckily, I was able to find another version and fill it in. And also, it was a pretty small missing piece. So hopefully you won't notice the problem.
The sound quality is very good. The music remains unreleased.
This album is 37 minutes long.
01 talk (Billy Joel)
02 Everybody Loves You Now (Billy Joel)
03 talk (Billy Joel)
04 She's Got a Way (Billy Joel)
05 All American Blues (Billy Joel)
06 talk (Billy Joel)
07 Got to Begin Again (Billy Joel)
08 talk (Billy Joel)
09 Captain Jack (Billy Joel)
10 Travelin' Prayer (Billy Joel)
11 Long, Long Time (Billy Joel)
12 talk (Billy Joel)
13 Ballad of Billy the Kid (Billy Joel)
14 Josephine [Edit] (Billy Joel)
https://pixeldrain.com/u/QpWuSsxK
alternate:
https://bestfile.io/en/iLD5mPGM8GbAYAT/file
The cover photo shows Billy Joel at a piano with his band behind him. I don't know the details, but I would guess it's from around 1973. In all the photos I've seen of Joel in 1971 he has a mustache, so I added a mustache to his face here.

Thanks Paul! BTW, not sure if you receive comments on old album posts. Is there any way you can please respost the Sara Bareilles What's Inside one, specifically the 2015 concert in it...of Waitress live in NY?
ReplyDeleteThank you for this. Billy's early albums are amazing. If it wasn't for Songs in the Attic they may have been forgotten completely. Fantastic.
ReplyDelete