Saturday, September 26, 2026

Newport Folk Festival, Fort Adams State Park, Newport, RI, 8-2-2008 - The Black Crowes

The Newport Folk Festival is one of the oldest and most respected music festivals in the world. It began in 1959 and continues to this day, although it was inactive from 1970 to 1984. If all that music from these festivals were publicly available, that would be really incredible. Unfortunately, most festivals either weren't recorded or the recordings haven't been made public, with the exception of the 1968 festival (which I've posted), and the 1969 one (which I plan on posting), plus this one, from 2008. Here's the first act I'm posting from the first day of the two-day festival, the Black Crowes.

There's a ton of great music I want to post at the blog, but it seems I'm always falling behind. Making the cover art and writing the write-ups definitely slows me down. So I'll try to keep the write-ups for this festival as brief as I can.

For decades, the festival focused on folk music. But by 2008, the management changed, and the new management wanted to increase the crowds by including some non-folk acts. As you'll see with the albums I post from this festival, they definitely succeeded with their approach. The Black Crowes here are an example of the change, since they're much more of a rock act than a folk act.

Apparently, the new management also had the idea of broadcasting parts of this festival on the radio, which is how we have these great sounding recordings. I've found enough for 13 albums. But there are even more I wish I could have included. Perhaps some weren't broadcast on the radio because the music acts didn't agree, or perhaps they did and I just can't find them. Either way, here are the missing ones:

The Avett Brothers
Jakob Dylan
Steve Earle
Over the Rhine
Cat Power
Son Volt
Brian Wilson 

If you have any of these sets, let me know and I'll post them too. By the way, the ones I'm posting are in no special order, since I couldn't figure out the chronological order. I did get some clues, but it's confusing because there were two stages going at once much of the time. 

Here's a newspaper review of the 2008 festival as a whole:

The Boston Globe 

The Black Crowes started their set with a couple of acoustic cover songs in a nod to the folk traditions of the festival. But then they continued with their usual rocking style. 

This album is an hour and 20 minutes long.

01 talk (Black Crowes)
02 Girl from the North Country (Black Crowes)
03 He Was a Friend of Mine (Black Crowes)
04 talk (Black Crowes)
05 Whoa Mule (Black Crowes)
06 Polly (Black Crowes)
07 Poor Elijah - Tribute to Johnson - Things Get Better (Black Crowes)
08 Wiser Time (Black Crowes)
09 Movin' On Down the Line (Black Crowes)
10 Goodbye Daughters of the Revolution (Black Crowes)
11 Jealous Again (Black Crowes)
12 Oh Josephine (Black Crowes)
13 Thorn in My Pride (Black Crowes)
14 talk (Black Crowes)
15 talk by emcee (Black Crowes)

https://pixeldrain.com/u/sPKcdPgu

alternate:

https://bestfile.io/epSvZ9Y4QypvtTP/file

The cover image is from this exact concert. I took the font style and logo at the top from the festival's promotional material.

1 comment: