Sunday, March 5, 2023

Tir Na Nog - Live, 1970-1971

Here's another album from the Irish folk rock duo Tir Na Nog. They're so obscure that there are virtually no bootlegs of them. But I did find one, only on YouTube. It only had some songs from a selection of undated concerts in a small club in Cornwall, Britain, in 1971. Additionally, their only official live album from their 1970s heyday is called "Live 1970-'71." (A title similar to mine here, but different.) That combines some BBC material with a short live set they did for "Doing Their Thing," a short-lived music show on the Granada TV channel in Britain.

So this album is a combination of the two sources. Tracks 1 through 13 make up the compete "Doing Their Thing" performance. The rest comes from the bootleg of the Cornwall shows. The unreleased songs have good sound quality in my opinion, close to the others. Plus, there's banter before many of the songs in both. So, in my opinion, it sounds like one cohesive show.

The Cornwall boot on YouTube actually has many more songs. But I've only included the ones not performed in the "Doing Your Thing" show or other BBC recordings that I'll post later, since the quality is a little worse. 

There are a few cover songs here: "Woodstock" by Joni Mitchell, "Willy o' Winsbury," a traditional song, "Story of Isaac" by Leonard Cohen, and "Reason to Believe" by Tim Hardin. No official versions of "Willy o' Winsbury" and "Reason to Believe" by the duo have been released.

This album is 42 minutes long. The "Doing Their Thing" portion is 25 minutes long.

01 Let My Love Grow (Tir Na Nog)
02 talk (Tir Na Nog)
03 Daisy Lady (Tir Na Nog)
04 talk (Tir Na Nog)
05 Mill Pond (Tir Na Nog)
06 talk (Tir Na Nog)
07 Looking Up (Tir Na Nog)
08 talk (Tir Na Nog)
09 Time Is like a Promise (Tir Na Nog)
10 talk (Tir Na Nog)
11 Woodstock (Tir Na Nog)
12 talk (Tir Na Nog)
13 I'm Happy to Be [On This Mountain] [Edit] (Tir Na Nog)
14 Two White Horses (Tir Na Nog)
15 talk (Tir Na Nog)
16 Willy o' Winsbury (Tir Na Nog)
17 Hey Friend (Tir Na Nog)
18 talk (Tir Na Nog)
19 Story of Isaac (Tir Na Nog)
20 Reason to Believe (Tir Na Nog)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15634992/TirTaN_1970-1971_Lve_atse.zip.html

The cover picture is a bit rough. That's because it's a screenshot from the "Doing Their Thing" TV show. There are nearly no photos of the band from that time period otherwise.

4 comments:

  1. Regarding photos, not to see for myself, but a search for the band to follow up on the actual albums, the dearth of photos that aren't from the albums themselves or publicity shots kind of tracks with my running pun on this 'AI art' thing going on, like typing in "obscure Irish folk music duo, circa 1970, Cornwall, England" and getting the exact photo you chose :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. More from the rabbit hole: Allegedly while recording Band On The Run, McCartney was talking up Strong In The Sun a bit.

    You mentioned you only discovered them a couple years ago, but how was it that you came across them? From my own 'internet journeys' as the late Patrice O'Neal called them, I've found a couple of bands I managed to catch early before their watershed moments that brought them fleeting fame, or just quirky one-and-dones who caught my ear if not many more, so I get the feeling, due to their smallish output even for the time, that 'happy accident' was a factor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reason that McCartney bit stuck out to me was that I also recently got a chance to listen to Come And Get It: The Best Of Apple Records compilation, and I could easily see them having been signed to Apple to either release SITS wider, or maybe the fourth album that never was...

      Delete
  3. Looking over their output, I find it maddening that two of the songs that caught my ear practically instantly upon listening, I'm Happy To Be [On this Mountain] and Let My Love Grow were never actually recorded for album, as you said the ones on your alt-ITM were demos of songs that never made it to album, and I assume the mentioned single was these two songs...as with a number of these kinds of bands, I can't explain why I like them, but damn it I do! 😎👍

    ReplyDelete