Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Los Lobos - Graffiti's, Pittsburgh, PA, 9-29-1992

Los Lobos has put out a lot of quality music over the years of their long career, but in my opinion they peaked in 1992 with the album "Kiko." That album generally got their best critical ratings for its inventiveness and diversity, and for good reason. So when I wanted to listen to a Los Lobos concert recently, I went looking for one from 1992.

I found one, which I'm posting here. It's a long concert, nearly two hours, with a well chosen song selection. And critically, it's a soundboard, so it sounds great.

That said, I listened to it a few times, and something seemed a bit off. I wasn't going to post it due to sound quality issues. Then I realized the problem was a bad mix. Although it is a clear soundboard, so much so that there isn't much audience heard at the ends of songs, the drums were too loud, the guitars too quiet, etc... I used the audio editing program Spleeter to break the different instruments into different tracks, then boost or lower their volumes, and then recombine them. So I thought this would be an easy concert to post, but it turned out to be a pain in the butt for me. 

But the end result is most likely the best 1992 bootleg from the band. I think it sounds much better than it did before, after fixing the mixes. In fact, if one were to pick just one concert of theirs to listen to, I'd challenge any fan to find one that beats this one.

There were a couple other issues I fixed. The volume levels wandered all over the place in the first two songs. That almost certainly is due to the person manning the board making adjustments. So, on top of the remixing editing mentioned above, I had to do more work on those two songs. But they sound pretty good now. Also, the talking between songs was at a low volume, so I boosted those bit up. Plus, I cut out a fair amount of dead air between songs, such as tuning up.

This album is an hour and 55 minutes long. A big chunk of that is the last song, a cover of the Grateful Dead song "Bertha" that jams for 16 minutes.

01 talk (Los Lobos)
02 Ay Te Dejo en San Antonio [Edit] (Los Lobos)
03 talk (Los Lobos)
04 I Got to Let You Know [Edit] (Los Lobos)
05 Kiko and the Lavender Moon (Los Lobos)
06 talk (Los Lobos)
07 Let’s Say Goodnight (Los Lobos)
08 One Time, One Night (Los Lobos)
09 My Baby’s Gone (Los Lobos)
10 Short Side of Nothing (Los Lobos)
11 talk (Los Lobos)
12 Just a Man (Los Lobos)
13 Dream in Blue (Los Lobos)
14 Wake Up Dolores (Los Lobos)
15 talk (Los Lobos)
16 Anselma (Los Lobos)
17 talk (Los Lobos)
18 Los Ojos de Pancha (Los Lobos)
19 talk (Los Lobos)
20 Carabina 30-30 (Los Lobos)
21 Wicked Rain (Los Lobos)
22 Papa Was a Rolling Stone (Los Lobos)
23 I Can’t Understand (Los Lobos)
24 talk (Los Lobos)
25 Georgia Slop (Los Lobos)
26 Peace (Los Lobos)
27 Jenny’s Got a Pony (Los Lobos)
28 talk (Los Lobos)
29 Evangeline (Los Lobos)
30 Will the Wolf Survive (Los Lobos)
31 Don’t Worry Baby (Los Lobos)
32 talk (Los Lobos)
33 Marie, Marie (Los Lobos)
34 talk (Los Lobos)
35 That Train Don’t Stop Here (Los Lobos)
36 talk (Los Lobos)
37 Bertha (Los Lobos)

https://www.imagenetz.de/hbksg

I didn't find any really good photo of the band in 1992. This one is captioned "circa 1990," so who knows, maybe it's from 1992. At least it looks close. Unfortunately it only highlights two band members, but those are the two singer-songwriters (Cesar Rosas on the left and David Hidalgo on the right).

5 comments:

  1. I was at this show...the place was packed and the band was on point. The venue is a legend that made 'top 10' lists every year of it's existence. It's common to find people of a certain age comparing Graffitti shows they were at. I can't wait to hear this rip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been to several Lobos shows. They unfortunately spend a lot of time tuning and talking. When they do manage to play, they are amazing, if lacking in any kind of stage energy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. Brilliant. I couldn't stop smiling and tapping my fingers all through this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. MNMJR... another Pittsburgher! How Yunse doin anat? I went to the graffiti as much as I could (and then the strip bar down the street!) Great times (at Both LOL)! Have some cool shows from there in my collection. In one (Richard Thompson) you can even hear me scream out a request! Always cool to find yourself immortalized on a boot LOL! This should be a great show! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete