Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Beck - Find My Way - Non-Album Tracks (2019-2023)

I've been waiting over a year to post this album, and now I finally can. The reason I had to wait is because this is an album of Beck's latest stray tracks (as I write this in March 2023). It took a long while for him to come up with enough material to fill an album. Earlier in his career, he was spitting out new songs right and left. But his output has slowed down a lot in recent years, especially ever since the Covid pandemic began. But finally, here were are.

All but one song here is officially released. That one "Night Running," That song was originally done as a collaboration with Cage the Elephant on their 2019 album "Social Cues." However, Beck has played the song in some of concerts since then, and that is all Beck instead of only part, so I preferred that. This recording is from a 2022 soundboard concert bootleg.

As for the other songs, they're from the usual grab bag of A-sides, B-sides, various artists compilations, movie soundtracks, appearances on other artists' albums, and the like. For instance, in 2019, Paul McCartney asked other artists to perform their versions or remixes of songs from McCartney's album "McCartney III," and he put the results on an album called "McCartney III Reimagined." The song "Find My Way" is from that. (By the way, you should watch the video of the song on YouTube. It's really interesting.)

There are a lot of covers here. For instance, in 2019, Beck released an EP in tribute to Prince, who died in 2016. It included "The Paisley Experience," which is a medley of four of Prince's most famous songs. Other covers include "Goin' Back," "The Bells of Rhymney," "I Am the Cosmos," and "Old Man."

This album is 43 minutes long.

There are two bonus tracks. The live acoustic medley of "Debra - Raspberry Beret" has great sound quality. But it's only a bonus track because it's only a medley of "Debra," a song he's done zillions of times, and "Raspberry Beret," which is featured in a studio version elsewhere on this album. "Don't Come Around Here No More" was done for a Tom Petty tribute show (which I've posted in full at this blog), but while the instrumentation sounds fine, the vocals sound like they were recorded from several rooms away.

01 Tarantula (Beck)
02 Goin' Back (Jakob Dylan & Beck)
03 The Bells of Rhymney (Jakob Dylan & Beck)
04 The Paisley Experience- Raspberry Beret - When Doves Cry - Kiss - 1999 (Beck)
05 Hypocrite (Beck)
06 I Turn My Camera On (Beck)
07 The Valley of the Pagans (Gorillaz & Beck)
08 I Am the Cosmos (Beck)
09 Find My Way (Beck & Paul McCartney)
10 Night Running (Beck)
11 Old Man (Beck)
12 Thinking about You (Beck)

Debra - Raspberry Beret [Live Acoustic] (Beck)
Don't Come Around Here No More (Beck)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15127485/BeckH_2019-2023_FindMyWy_atse.zip.html

The cover art was made by someone called Citizen Kane Wayne. It looks like they took a photo of Beck and added blurry versions of it on either side. I thought it looked cool for an album cover, but it was black and white, so I added some color and used it. I think it comes from the photo sessions related to the video shot for the song "Find My Way." I took the lettering on the cover from the cover art for the "Find My Way" single.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for this awesome post. And thanks for being so patient so this could be completed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zippy share has gone down forever. It's all gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found it on Extratorrent in October w/ your 'Bad Blood - Various Songs 2009-10', listening again the day after Giovanni and Marissa Ribisi's birthdays...

    A BIG Thank you,
    J, Sweden

    ReplyDelete