Thursday, October 22, 2020

World Party - Beatles Covers (1986-2006)

Karl Wallinger, the main force behind the band World Party, is a huge Beatles fan. He's done a lot of Beatles covers over the years, so many that there's enough to make an album of them. So that's exactly what I've done here. A couple of the songs are from the solo careers of John Lennon and Paul McCartney ("No. 9 Dream" and "Man We Was Lonely" respectively), and there's one Lennon-McCartney song the Beatles never recorded ("A World without Love"). But I figure that's close enough for horseshoes.

One must say that these Beatles covers are often very close to the Beatles versions. Occasionally, takes a very different approach, such as with "The Long and Winding Road," which has a different rhythmic structure. But that's rare. But that's okay. Wallinger obviously had a lot of fun recreating the records he loves.

Most of these songs are officially released, but rare. Three are B-sides. Three more are from the archival box set "Arkeology." A few are from various artists compilations. Two are actual album tracks. But three are unreleased. For two of those, the last two songs on the album, I don't even know what year they're from. All I know is that they were posted on a now defunct official World Party website. I estimated they were released around 2006, but I'm not sure. If anyone knows, please let me know.

I wouldn't have made this if my musical associate Lil' Panda didn't come up with the idea and drop nearly all of the songs in my lap. So thanks for that.

The album is 40 minutes long.

01 Nowhere Man (World Party)
02 Dear Prudence (World Party)
03 Happiness Is a Warm Gun (World Party)
04 Cry Baby Cry (World Party)
05 A World without Love (World Party)
06 I'm So Tired (World Party)
07 Fixing a Hole (World Party)
08 Martha My Dear (World Party)
09 No. 9 Dream (World Party)
10 Penny Lane (World Party)
11 Man We Was Lonely (World Party)
12 The Long and Winding Road (World Party)
13 All You Need Is Love (World Party) 

https://www.upload.ee/files/16376844/WORLDPRTY1986-2006BetlsCovrs_atse.zip.html

I have no idea where or when the cover art photo was taken. But I liked it, and I didn't see many other good ones to choose from. Judging from his appearance, I'm guessing it's from the early 2000s.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this gem! World Party were such a great band. Sad to see that they appear to be over as a band.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was looking for 'Nowhere Man' after I saw it only came out on a 12" - and lo & behold, search engine led me back (frequent visitor in the past) to your wondrous site.
    The photo is from a session for 'Dumbing Up' ca. 2000; probably by Richard Evans. Variations appear in the CD/LP artwork and on a CD single.
    RIP Karl - truly one of the greats

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully curated collection!

    I was a member of the World Party site at the time. All You Need is Love was posted as a Christmas present in either 2000 or 2001.

    ReplyDelete