Monday, October 12, 2020

Rockpile - The Bottom Line, New York City, 10-24-1978

I love Rockpile, the late 1970s band with Nick Lowe and Dave Edmunds. They had lots of great songs, and they could really rock. It's a shame they never got their due, in my opinion largely due to the fact that Lowe and Edmunds were on different record labels, so Rockpile was only ever able to record one studio album, right when they broke up.

Rockpile definitely excelled on stage. It's too bad they never released a live album while they were still together. One was released decades later, but that's a concert from 1980. This show is from 1978, with a significantly different song list. This concert from The Bottom Line in New York City is a great one. It was played live on the radio, so the sound quality is as good as a professionally recorded live album. Just listening to it, I can almost see and smell the sweat from a tightly packed crowd dancing to the relentlessly energetic songs. If you like good ol' rock and roll, give this a listen! 

There were some issues with the bootleg recording that I had to fix. The music was just fine, but sometimes things got a little problematic with the applause after some songs. In two cases, a DJ for the radio station recording and playing the concert over the radio spoke over the applause to remind listeners what station they were listening to. I removed those. In a few other cases, the applause at the ends of songs was missing or cut short. So I did my usual trick of patching in applause from the ends of other songs.

There are two notable things about the last song, "Let It Rock," a Chuck Berry number. First, it features Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones as an additional lead guitarist. Two, it's not actually from the concert in question. But, it's from the very next night, at the same venue. The recording of that night is also excellent. The set list was the same with the exception of this one song with Richards, so I've only included that song at the end.

By the way, Lowe once wrote an interesting account of Richards playing "Let It Rock." It's probably from the appearance that is included here, though it's possible he played with the band more than one. Lowe claims it was at the Bottom Line, but in 1979, but he could have the timing wrong. Anyway, here's the link to the short story:

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/keith-richards-meets-rockpile-1979.86634/

The concert is 59 minutes long, including the extra song with Richards. If you own listen to just one Rockpile concert, I recommend this one, even over their official album "Live at Montreux 1980."

01 Down, Down, Down (Rockpile)
02 So It Goes (Rockpile)
03 I Knew the Bride [When She Used to Rock and Roll] (Rockpile)
04 talk (Rockpile)
05 Deborah (Rockpile)
06 talk (Rockpile)
07 I Love the Sound of Breaking Glass (Rockpile)
08 talk (Rockpile)
09 No More Mr. Nice Guy (Rockpile)
10 Trouble Boys (Rockpile)
11 It's My Own Business (Rockpile)
12 talk (Rockpile)
13 Never Been in Love (Rockpile)
14 Love So Fine (Rockpile)
15 Promised Land (Rockpile)
16 talk (Rockpile)
17 I Hear You Knocking (Rockpile)
18 They Called It Rock (Rockpile)
19 Heart of the City (Rockpile)
20 Ju Ju Man (Rockpile)
21 Here Comes the Weekend (Rockpile)
22 Let It Rock (Rockpile with Keith Richards)

https://www.imagenetz.de/d3uGg

The cover art photo features just Nick Lowe (left) and Dave Edmunds (right). I could have used a photo with all four band members, but I liked this one the best. It's from a concert in New York City in August 1979, probably the Palladium.

7 comments:

  1. Great work as always. Will download poste haste.
    I haven't DLed much lately as I never have time to listen to it all, and my "archives" folder is getting humongous. But I enjoy visiting every day, reading your entries, finding new artists and catching up on old favorites.
    Thank you, Paul!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish there was something other than "Zippyshare". I ALWAYS get a, 'malicious site blocked' warning..it just DOES NOT WORK! Any alternatives?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One, use an ad blocker for your browser. I use "No Script." It works great.

      Two, ALL my files are available via SoulseekQT. It's free and easy to use. I'm surprised more people don't use that, since I consider it superior in every way. But a lot more seem to use the Zippyshare links.

      Delete
  3. Hey Paul, I am divinewind on soulseek and it pains me to see you try to dl this matthew sweet song from live in philly so I will try to send it to you. can you message me on soulseek so i can email it to you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Paul. Was lucky enough to see Rockpile at the old Hollywood Paladium...Nick had a sore throat so he couldn't sing any leads so Dave took center stage.He didn't disappoint.He played an unbelievable Chuck Berry medley!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw this Rockpile show Keith did only play one. found out years later why but we didn't know what was happening. could also say KR was a real gent, very nice to all the fans. no dancing at the BL strictly tables and a tiny bar w standing room only.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi good evening. I can't donload this one. Keith on Let ir rock!

    ReplyDelete