Friday, October 2, 2020

Neil Finn - Home Concerts 8, Los Angeles, CA, 5-12-2020 to 6-6-2020

Sadly, this is the eighth and last of my collections of home concert performances from Neil Finn of Crowded House (and, lately, Fleetwood Mac). 

As I mentioned in my last post about him, for the first two months or so of the coronavirus lockdown, mostly March and April of 2020, he played home concerts of about half an hour to an hour nearly every single day. But as you can see by the dates on this album, he began doing a lot fewer by May, and then stopped altogether in June. Since then, he hasn't done any more. Maybe that'll change, but for now this is the end of this series.

The material is the same as the rest of the series. It's a mix of originals and covers, mostly done totally solo by Finn. One song, "Find Your Way Back Home," is a brand new song. He recently released a full band version with Stevie Nicks and Christine McVie of Fleetwood Mac helping on vocals.

The covers are "God Only Knows" by the Beach Boys, "Sexy Sadie" by the Beatles, "Fire and Rain" by James Taylor, and "Something" by the Beatles. "Something" actually was performed in late April 2020, but I missed including in on any earlier album. I had an alert commenter point it out to me recently, so I found it and included it here. I was tempted to redo one of the earlier albums with that one added in, but that album was long and it would have made it longer. This album is shorter than the others, so I just stuck it on the end here.

Three of the songs are repeats of songs on earlier albums in this series. Normally, I would skip the repeats, but I included them here because each of them were played on piano on these versions whereas the previous versions were acoustic guitar versions.

01 People Are like Suns [Piano Version] (Neil Finn)
02 More than One of You (Neil Finn)
03 Pour le Monde (Neil Finn)
04 Gentle Hum (Neil Finn)
05 Faster than Light (Neil Finn)
06 God Only Knows (Neil Finn)
07 Walking on the Spot [Piano Version] (Neil Finn)
08 Try Whistling This [Piano Version] (Neil Finn)
09 What's the Matter with You (Neil Finn)
10 Sexy Sadie (Neil Finn)
11 Fire and Rain (Neil Finn)
12 Find Your Way Back Home (Neil Finn)
13 Weather with You (Neil Finn)
14 I Feel Possessed (Neil Finn)
15 Something (Neil Finn with Elroy Finn)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15939469/NeilF_2020_HomeConcrts08LsAngelesCA__5-12-2020_to_6-6-2020_atse.zip.html

The cover art photo comes from early 2020, just before the pandemic hit. In the photo, he actually was hugging people on each side, but I made some minor edits in Photoshop to make it look like it was just him.

12 comments:

  1. Ah...so beautiful and peaceful for these times. Better quality than previous home concerts, and I prefer piano over guitar for songs originally written on piano. Thanks a bunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I'm not sure if the sound is better. I think they're all pretty good, except for a few rough ones on the first volume.

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for the Neil Finn Home Concerts series. What a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my (shivers) I cannot thank you enough for this! All the work you saved me trying to piece this together !! How can I contribute something to you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also you saw The Pretenders gig you were looking for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000mthl

      Delete
    3. Wow, thanks a lot! That's a very nice contribution. :) You found it with just four days left before the link dies. I'll be able to turn that into an album.

      Delete
  5. Still can’t see it but was great to hear it. Saw this too: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-Do6oWssHhk
    I love that you put the duplicates on piano on the last album as they really are different on each instrument. This drop the other day was exciting as it is a polished recording of him doing like he does at home hhttps://open.spotify.com/album/2q5jqjytQfxEJnovRnIuYN?si=ZDZAqSaZS5CsApwmuf99-w Thank you again! and I do hope he does more soon although he seems to have felt that he has exhausted his catalogue .. I say never!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the work, effort & enjoyment, U bring to ALL OF US !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this series! Thanks so much! If you are ever interested in re-visiting Crowded House/Neil Finn, I believe he did live/stripped down performances of each of the Crowded House albums on his podcast. Some performances faced some technical challenges, but most were great re-interpretations of classic Crowded House material. I think they would be a great addition to your blog! Just a suggestion. :)

    ReplyDelete