Sunday, October 11, 2020

Lulu - BBC Sessions, Volume 3: 1968-1970

When I'd first posted this album, I'd commented that it was a step down from the first two in this series both in terms of performance and sound quality. That's no longer the case. Thanks to musical associate Marley, I was able to add a bunch of songs that I'd missed. All of those are BBC studio sessions with the best sound quality. If you downloaded this before, you definitely should do it again, along with the new Volume 4 in the series.

Before, most of the songs here came from Lulu's TV, "It's Lulu." True, that was a BBC show, so it kept the BBC content coming, but the sound quality was often merely good instead of great. Now, ten of the 20 songs come from BBC studio sessions instead, with excellent sound quality. I was able to replace a couple of the songs with better versions, but most of those ten are newly discovered by me.

I'd previously thought that the best of Lulu's music career petered out by the end of the 1960s. But I think these songs made a case that she kept going strong into the early 1970s.

All of the performances here are officially unreleased. One snag with the new BBC studio sessions tracks is that most of them had BBC DJs talking over the music. But I was able to remove the talking and keep the underlying music thanks to the X-Minus audio editing program. Those are the ones with " [Edit]" in their titles.

The two bonus songs are duets with Dusty Springfield. I've included them on my collections of Springfield's "On TV and Radio" albums. They'd previously been included as regular tracks on this album. But after drastically revamping it, I realized those two had poorer sound quality than the rest. So those two got bumped down to bonus track status.

This album is 49 minutes long, not including the bonus tracks.

UPDATE: On October 24, 2022, I drastically revised this album. I mentioned some of the changes up above, but there's too many changes to explain them all in detail. Please just delete the earlier version and listen to this better one. The vast majority of the songs are new. Some of the songs that had been here have been moved to the new Volume 4 album in this series.

01 By the Time I Get to Phoenix (Lulu)
02 Walk Right Back (Lulu & the Everly Brothers)
03 Funky Street (Lulu)
04 I'm a Tiger (Lulu)
05 Games People Play (Lulu & Johnny Cash)
06 Oh Me, Oh My [I'm a Fool for You Baby] [Edit] (Lulu)
07 Sweep Around Your Own Back Door [Edit] (Lulu)
08 The Letter [Edit] (Lulu)
09 Boom Bang a Bang (Lulu)
10 'It's Lulu' Theme Song [Instrumental] (Lulu)
11 At the Crossroads (Lulu)
12 Feelin' Alright [Edit] (Lulu)
13 Marley Purt Drive [Edit] (Lulu)
14 Mr. Bojangles [Edit] (Lulu)
15 Dirty Old Man [Edit] (Lulu)
16 Hum a Song [From Your Heart] [Edit] (Lulu)
17 Show Me [Edit] (Lulu)
18 Girl Talk (Lulu & Cass Elliot)
19 Keep the Customer Satisfied (Lulu)
20 Sweet Little Sixteen - Long Tall Sally - Blue Suede Shoes (Lulu)

Free the People (Dusty Springfield & Lulu)
Joy to the World (Dusty Springfield & Lulu)

https://www.imagenetz.de/j3vhw

The cover art photo comes from a BBC TV show in 1971, but I don't know the details.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    I'm agree with you about the "decadence" of Lulu at the end of the sixties.
    Congratulations for your choice.
    And many thanks.

    ReplyDelete