Thursday, September 26, 2019

David Bowie - Love All Around (1968-1969)

When I first made David Bowie stray tracks albums, I didn't make this one. But I found more and more material from this time period, causing me to squeeze this album in later.

The main reason I was able to get more material was the release of "Spying through a Keyhole," which contains four Bowie songs that were not only officially unreleased, but also unbootlegged. It also contains the original acoustic demo of "Space Oddity," which has some lyrics that were changed in all later versions.

There also has been the release of "The Mercury Demos," an album of acoustic songs all recorded in one sitting. I'm not planning on posting "The Mercury Demos" here since I want to encourage people to buy it themselves. But I am including one song from it, "Love Song," a cover of a Leslie Duncan song, because it's the only song from that that isn't available in a different version somewhere else. Furthermore, another 1969 song here, "Life Is a Circus," comes from yet another new release, "Clareville Grove Demos." It also isn't available anywhere else (except that a different version is on "The Mercury Demos."

By the way, I believe the reason there was a flurry of new releases of Bowie material after many years of no such new releases is due to European copyright law, which states that a copyright is lost unless material is made public within 50 years. These songs from 1968 and 1969 are just making it under the wire for the 2018 and 2019 deadlines.

Aside from "Love Song" and "Life Is a Circus" mentioned above, all the other songs are from 1968. In addition to the five newly released songs also mentioned above, there are five more 1968 songs from a variety of sources, including two that are still unreleased.

A couple of the songs here are available elsewhere in different versions. For instance, Bowie completely redid "London Bye Ta-Ta" in 1970.

01 London Bye Ta-Ta (David Bowie)
02 When I'm Five (David Bowie)
03 April's Tooth of Gold (David Bowie)
04 Ching-A-Ling (David Bowie, Hermione Farthingale & John Hutchinson)
05 In the Heat of the Morning (David Bowie)
06 Mother Grey (David Bowie)
07 Goodbye Threepenny Joe (David Bowie)
08 Love All Around (David Bowie)
09 Angel Angel Grubby Face (David Bowie)
10 Space Oddity [Original Acoustic Demo] (David Bowie)
11 Love Song (David Bowie)
12 Life Is a Circus (David Bowie)

https://www.imagenetz.de/kxhrJ

I'm not sure where the photo for the cover art comes from. Based on Bowie's haircut and face, it almost certainly is from 1969.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing.

    I don't know if you have it, but I prefer the embellished acetate version of 'London Bye Ta-Ta' to the take from the deluxe edition of the 1967 album.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect you're talking about the 1970 version, which I put here:

      http://albumsthatshouldexist.blogspot.com/2018/09/david-bowie-shadow-man-various-songs.html

      Delete
    2. It's this version: -

      https://youtu.be/vo6aq0Cu_BU

      It's basically the same as the one you've used, but with added sound effects (and maybe a different vocal?). It's on the 'Forgotten Songs of David Robert Jones' compilation.

      Delete
    3. Ah, I see what you mean now. I hadn't been aware of that version. I just gave it a listen. It's nice, but I think I'll stick with the other version. That one is officially released, which is probably why the sound quality is a little better. And the differences aren't that big anyway.

      Delete
    4. Glad to have introduced it to you. Hopefully a better-quality version will surface in the future (unless the Bowie camp is sitting on the tape).

      Delete
  2. hello a very nice site, nice that someone is working on it, I would like to place the albums on my site, but then I would like to receive the music files in flac file with the covers

    Diedrich Streuper
    www.davidbowieworld.nl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, sorry, there is no FLAC version. I work only on mp3s. As for the covers, all there is is what I post here. You can grab that and save it.

      Delete
  3. Thank you. I didn't know some of these tracks were in circulation. Great collection.

    ReplyDelete