Wednesday, May 8, 2024

SNACK Benefit, Kezar Stadium, San Francisco, CA, 3-23-1975, Part 5: The Doobie Brothers

The fifth major musical act at the 1975 SNACK benefit in San Francisco was the Doobie Brothers.

I actually posted this set already, in June 2023. Unfortunately, it was later taken down to a copyright violation issue. So I'm going to roll the dice and try again here. Grab it fast!

Here's what I wrote when I posted it last time, with some minor changes.

This is a concert that seems to have slipped under the radar. But hopefully this post will help change that. I previously posted a Doobie Brothers concert from 1973. I said I wanted a concert of the band from the time when Tom Johnston was still the main lead vocalist, because he was replaced by Michael McDonald in 1975 (and then kicked out of the band in 1977). I said I had found what appeared to be the best bootleg from that era.

But then I came across this one. It's even better, because it's from two years later, which means more classic songs were included, especially their Number One hit "Black Water." I think this bootleg has gone under the radar because it's part of the SNACK benefit concert, which had lots of other big name artists, like Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Santana, Jefferson Starship, and the Grateful Dead. 

Note that when I posted this, I included two bonus tracks from a different 1975 concert. Perhaps the copyright issue was with those tracks, since I'm pretty sure this entire show remains officially unreleased. We shall see. This version doesn't include those bonus tracks.

This album is 33 minutes long.

34 talk (Doobie Brothers)
35 Jesus Is Just Alright (Doobie Brothers)
36 talk (Doobie Brothers)
37 Neil's Fandango (Doobie Brothers)
38 talk (Doobie Brothers)
39 Take Me in Your Arms [Rock Me a Little While] (Doobie Brothers)
40 talk (Doobie Brothers)
41 Black Water (Doobie Brothers)
42 talk (Doobie Brothers)
43 I Been Workin' on You (Doobie Brothers)
44 Long Train Runnin' (Doobie Brothers)
45 talk (Doobie Brothers)
46 China Grove (Doobie Brothers)

https://www.upload.ee/files/16603893/VA-SNCKBnefitKzarStdumSnFrncscoCA__3-23-1975_05DobiBrthrs_atse.zip.html

The photo I used for the cover does not come from this exact concert. However, I picked one that looks like it could have, with the same daytime appearance, complete with tarp and scaffolding in the background. This one is actually from a concert at the Oakland Coliseum June 29, 1975. It only shows one person, who I believe is lead guitarist Jeff Baxter, a member of the band at the time. The photo was in black and white, but I colorized it using the Palette program.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for this one. I got it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may be wrong but I think the cover photo is Jeff Baxter. That looks like his trademark 'stash and glasses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, I checked, that is Baxter. But he was a member of the Doobie Brothers at the time, so it's all good. I'll change the write-up mention.

      Delete
    2. By the way, looking up his Wikipedia entry, I can't believe he later went on to become a defense contractor for the US military! How totally bizarre!
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Baxter

      Delete