Thursday, May 23, 2024

Katrina & the Waves - Shepperton Film Studios, Shepperton, Britain, 12-29-1983

I have long felt that Katrina and the Waves are a very underrated 1980s new wave band. They had many more good songs besides their huge hit "Walking on Sunshine." I've already posted a concert by them, from 1985. This is a concert from 1983.

Frankly, I think that 1985 one is better than this one. It's longer, and has more key songs on it, helped by the fact that they'd released more music in the two years between that concert and this one. I'm mostly posting this because it's so very rare and needs to get into wider public circulation. This is from a professionally recorded concert done in a film studio, but in front of an audience. It was released as a bonus DVD on some versions of the 2003 archival album "The Original Recordings: 1983-1984."

 I had it on my SoulseekQT wish list for many months, and I finally was able to download it the other day. I converted it from video format to mp3s. The sound quality is excellent. There are very few live recordings of this band, period, and nothing from this early in their career. This is from a time where the band had released some music, including a single of "Walking on Sunshine," but they failed to make the charts anywhere. It wouldn't be until 1985 when "Walking on Sunshine" was re-released when they would find big success.

This album is 35 minutes long.

01 talk (Katrina & the Waves)
02 Que Te Quiero (Katrina & the Waves)
03 Game of Love (Katrina & the Waves)
04 Do You Want Crying (Katrina & the Waves)
05 Walking on Sunshine (Katrina & the Waves)
06 Don't Take Her Out of My World (Katrina & the Waves)
07 Mexico (Katrina & the Waves)
08 Brown Eyed Son (Katrina & the Waves)
09 Maniac House (Katrina & the Waves)
10 talk (Katrina & the Waves)
11 I Really Taught Me to Watusi (Katrina & the Waves)
12 talk (Katrina & the Waves)
13 Monkey Town (Katrina & the Waves)

https://www.upload.ee/files/16666484/KATRNANTWVES1983ShppertnFlmStdosShppertnBitin__12-29-1983_atse.zip.html

I didn't find any good photos of the band in concert from 1983 or even 1984. So this one shows lead singer Katrina Leskanich on the US TV show "American Bandstand" in July 1985.

3 comments:

  1. Of course I'm familiar with their big hit, but now I'm checking these out to take a deeper dive. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw them back in the days in Amsterdam, 1985 or 1986. Terrific live band.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, they were great, 'Red Wine and Whiskey' is a belter. KATW are sadly synonymous with 'Walking on Sunshine', just like Free are 'Alright Now' and Cheap Trick are 'I want you to want me'

    ReplyDelete