Friday, July 8, 2022

Marmalade - BBC Sessions, Volume 3: Sunday Show, Paris Theatre, London, Britain, 12-14-1971

I thought I was all done with posting material by the British band (the) Marmalade. However, I recently found a lot more of their BBC performances, thanks to musical associate Marley. I had one album for all their BBC material from 1970 and after. Now, that is increased to three albums! 

Marmalade played a short (officially unreleased) concert for BBC radio near the end of 1971. Previously, I had used a few songs from this for that sole late BBC album. Now, I'm presenting the concert in full, including banter between songs by DJ John Peel. The concert was only half an hour long. But one of the songs, "Lady of Catrine," isn't included here because it got cut off halfway through. What remains is just 25 minutes long.

As far as I know, there are no Marmalade concert bootlegs other than this show, plus a half hour long performance they did in 1970 for a British TV show called "Doing Their Thing." I had included a couple of rare cover songs from that show on Volume 2 in this series, and I decided to keep them there. But they did three more songs for "Doing Their Thing" that they didn't do for the John Peel BBC show, so I've added those to the end. With those three songs add, this album is a total of 36 minutes long.

In the late 1960s, Marmalade was known as a pop band that had hit singles written by others. By the time of this concert, they'd transformed into more of a rocking band that still had hit singles, but mostly wrote them themselves. I included two covers from the "Doing Their Thing" show on Volume 2, but this still has one notable cover, "Who Needs Ya," originally by Steppenwolf.

01 talk (Marmalade)
02 Mama Goose Love (Marmalade)
03 talk (Marmalade)
04 Empty Bottles (Marmalade)
05 talk (Marmalade)
06 Sarah (Marmalade)
07 talk (Marmalade)
08 Back on the Road (Marmalade)
09 talk (Marmalade)
10 Jody (Marmalade)
11 talk (Marmalade)
12 Who Needs Ya (Marmalade)
13 Rainbow (Marmalade)
14 talk (Marmalade)
15 Reflections of My Life (Marmalade)
16 talk (Marmalade)
17 Life Is (Marmalade)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15264297/Marmld_1971_BBSessionsVolume3SundayShwPrisTheatre__12-14-1971_atse.zip.html

The cover photo is a screenshot taken from the "Doing Their Thing" show, since I found a video of that on YouTube. It's rather low-res, but at least it shows all the band members.

No comments:

Post a Comment