Thursday, August 26, 2021

Yes - An Acoustic Evening with Yes (2004) (A MIKE SOLOF GUEST POST)

You may  remember a couple of months back, I started posting some albums created by my musical friend Mike Solof. He's got some more ready to go, so I'm going to try to post more of them soon. If you recall what I wrote about his albums previously, he's more into some musical artists than I am, so he can fill in some gaps in my music collection.

The prog rock band Yes has been around for ages, but they were never known to play acoustically. However, around 2004, they did some acoustic shows for the first time. Mike has put together a kind of ideal acoustic concert from them, mostly using two concert recordings from 2004, but also a few other bits and pieces.

Mike has a habit of making PDF files to go with his albums that contain extensive comments and even some photos. So rather than have everything explained twice, I'll leave the rest of the write up to him. But be assured that if you like Yes and you like acoustic music, this will be right up your alley. The sound quality is great throughout.

Mike also has a habit of creating a single mp3 file for his albums. So, like we've done with his previous posted albums, there are two versions. One has each song as a separate track, as usual, and the other is the single mp3 file. Since this album isn't that large (about 50 minutes long), I've put both versions in one zip file (along with the PDF file he made).

01 We Have Heaven [Acappella Version] (Yes)
02 The Meeting (Yes)
03 Long Distance Runaround (Yes)
04 Intro to South Side of the Sun (Yes)
05 South Side of the Sun (Yes)
06 Show Me (Yes)
07 Wondrous Stories (Yes)
08 Time Is Time (Yes)
09 I’ve Seen All Good People (Yes)
10 Roundabout (Yes)
11 Owner of a Lonely Heart (Yes)
12 Leave It [Acappella Version] (Yes)
13 Tiger Rag [Soundcheck Bonus] (Yes)

NOTE: THE SINGLE MP3 FILE VERSION HAS THIS NAME:
An Acoustic Evening with Yes (Gapless) (Yes)

https://www.imagenetz.de/kgRNZ

I'm not sure where the cover art is from. Hopefully Mike can explain. The only thing I did was add the text at the bottom.

11 comments:

  1. The Cover pic I choose is from a picture of a concert from somewhere that Yes was playing at sometime in the past 50 years. Hope that helps!!! (I tease Paul with my vagueness...it drives him crazy but I must admit I gain perverse satisfaction from it.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Long time reader, first time listener...LOL

      Excellent work, even if the beginning and end aren't part of the 'actual' show, as it is all constructed in such a way, I could see Anderson and the supporting singers coming out and performing WHH acapella to open up and close with Leave It the same way, and Tiger Rag can be an 'encore'...it is too bad there isn't more, though this Spleeter program I keep reading about does seem to have the ability to make acoustic versions of many tracks (Paul's ATMP Acoustic sets are the finest examples I can suggest) so maybe it is possible to at least try to make a longer followup at some point.

      Also, maybe the audience was more polite than I would expect for a Yes show, but it does seem like the applause is spare to my ears, maybe a volume tweak?

      Look forward to seeing what you create next.

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much. Great work on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! Lot's more stuff coming soon. And if you've never heard it before... rush out in a buying frenzy and get Chris Squire's Fish Out Of Water CD. Universally called the best solo album by any Yes member, it is stunningly awesome and often called the LOST Yes album...so gooood!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The 4th & 5 tracks are "South Side Of The Sky". One of my all time favorite tracks. My 7th grade teacher read us the "Hobbit" about the time I heard "Fragile". This song and that book kind of got intertwined.

    Great post, I've been following Yes for 49 years now. It's the band I've seen most in my life first time was in 1972 and the last time was in 2017 (Carl Palmer & Todd Rundgren opening acts). If you plan on more like this, Howe's solo albums and Wakeman's solo albums have some great instrumental Yes songs. I think Wakeman has two whole albums. But the best is a bootleg I got from Anderson's 2014 Solo Tour recorded at Keswick Theatre, Pennsylvania. It really was a solo tour as he sings and plays an instrument. He does a big selection of Yes songs and solo tunes plus some songs never released.

    In my humble opinion, Olias Of Sunhillow (Anderson) is the best solo album. Journey To The Centre Of The Earth (Wakeman) number two. Fish Out Of Water (Squire) comes in 3rd. I also love Animation (Anderson) but it's a little more popish then the other three. I like it as I got to see that tour at the famous Perkin's Palace in Pasadena, what a show!

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chances are you have them but i have some great Yes boots I'm happy to share. And I'll give you Olias...it is a freakin awesome album!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the offer. I still own boots I bought on vinyl back in the 70's. Back then I had a beagle...his name was Olias.

      Delete
  6. By Any weird chance do you have the one bootleg that contained olias outtakes, a full album, not the boot The sky and his shadow with just the one supposed 10 min track. I have that one.I've been looking for years and only found one guys who had it but he never answered repeated requests.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I'm intrigued. Let me go to my source for all things Yes (my older brother).

    ReplyDelete
  8. No luck. He not sure it even exist because of the way it was recorded. It seems there is a demo track that plotted out the album and he started recording each instrument (as he played them all). It wasn't like a band recording different takes to get everybody on the same page (that's my know it all older brother's opinion).

    But having said that, if you ever come across it, remember me because I'd love a copy.

    ReplyDelete