Monday, August 23, 2021

The Faces - BBC Sessions, Volume 2: John Peel's Sunday Concert, BBC, Paris Theatre, London, Britain, 9-19-1970

I haven't posted in a few days because I somehow got sucked into watching the TV show "The Expanse." It was so good that I ended up binge watching it for all of my free time. But I'm done with the show, so I'm back to posting. :)

Some days ago, I posted an album of the Faces performing for the BBC. I have a bunch of albums like that. This one, like that one, is from 1970, and features some of the same songs. But while that was is mostly performances done at the BBC studio without an audience, the bulk of this one is a live recording hosted by famous BBC DJ John Peel. Normally, I cut out the BBC DJs when possible, but in this case Peel was an integral part of the show, introducing the songs instead of having someone in the band do it, so I've kept all his banter in.

The John Peel show is relatively short, at only 34 minutes. To flesh things out I bit, I've added a few songs from a live recording from 1970. This was recorded at a club in London for a TV show. (I forget which one, but I vaguely remember it may have been for something in the Netherlands.) As a result, the sound quality is excellent, though a notch below the quality of the John Peel portion.

One problem with these extra tracks is that one song, "Flying," got cut off near the end. So I patched in the last 30 seconds or so from a different BBC recording. Hopefully, you won't notice the edit.

If you include the extra songs, this album is 47 minutes long.

01 talk (Faces)
02 You're My Girl [I Don't Want to Discuss It] (Faces)
03 talk (Faces)
04 The Wicked Messenger (Faces)
05 talk (Faces)
06 Devotion (Faces)
07 talk (Faces)
08 It's All Over Now (Faces)
09 talk (Faces)
10 I Feel So Good (Faces)
11 talk (Faces)
05 Flying (Faces)
13 I Want to Be Loved - Street Fighting Man - I Want to Be Loved (Faces)
14 Gasoline Alley - Around the Plynth (Faces)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15292728/TFacs_1970c_BBSessionsVolum2JhnPeelsSundyConcrt__9-19-1970_atse.zip.html

It's surprisingly hard to find good color photos of the Faces from 1970. If you know of some, please let me know. This photo I used for the cover art is a good one, but I'm not sure what year it's from. However, it has Ronnie Lane in it, and he left the band during 1973, so it has to be from before his departure.

9 comments:

  1. Been waiting very (im)patiently for this since you posted the first one. Thanks for all you post, its wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic post! A million thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree re 'The Expanse' - brilliant show! Thanks for The Faces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zippyshare unavailable from the UK - can usually bypass with a VPN but right now it's not working. Any chance of an alternative to ZS?

    ReplyDelete
  5. https://www.proxysite.com/es/ for ZS

    Many thanks for the collection

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that. Can people check this and see if it works? If so, I can recommend it to others. I can't really check it because Zippyshare works for me anyway.

      Delete
    2. That address - https://www.proxysite.com/es/ - comes up with 'Page not found' from the UK. My VPN is now co-operating again so I have been able to access this album but a viable proxy for ZS remains a mystery!

      Delete