Monday, August 9, 2021

The Faces - BBC Sessions, Volume 1: 1970

In recent months, I post a handful of stray tracks albums for the Faces. I've finished those, and that now frees me up to post BBC material from the band. It turns out the Faces performed a lot for the BBC. Even though the band only existed for six years, I have seven BBC albums I want to post here, starting with this one.

The vast majority of the band's BBC material remains officially unreleased, and this album is a case in point. Only three of the ten songs here have been released. The first song is from a bonus track, and the fifth and ninth songs are from the band's box set, "Five Guys Walk into a Bar..."

Most of the Faces BBC albums I plan on posting here are entire concerts that were recorded by the BBC. But this is of the more stereotypical kind of BBC material, in which the band played live in a studio without any audience. As a result, there could be a danger of BBC DJs talking over the music. Happily, by 1970 that bad habit seems to have become less common, and there are no cases of that here.

The sound quality is solid throughout, except for the last song, "Away in a Manger." Consider that kind of a bonus track. 

This album is 49 minutes long.

01 Shake, Shudder, Shiver (Faces)
02 Love in Vain (Faces)
03 The Wicked Messenger (Faces)
04 Maybe I'm Amazed (Faces)
05 Flying (Faces)
06 Evil (Faces)
07 Had Me a Real Good Time (Faces)
08 Country Comfort (Faces)
09 Around the Plynth - Gasoline Alley (Faces)
10 Away in a Manger (Rod Stewart with Ian McLagan)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15292635/TFacs_1970b_BBSessionsVolum1_atse.zip.html

For the album cover, I used part of a 1970 concert poster for the band. The only changes I made were that I increased the contrast, and added some words in black.

1 comment: