Sunday, August 1, 2021

Larkin Poe - Yet Additional Even Still More Further Tip O' the Hat - Various Cover Versions (2021)

It's that time of year again, when I get to present the next album in the long running Larkin Poe "Tip O' the Hat" series. I'm always extra psyched to post these albums, because they post a new YouTube video of a cover song every now and then, and I slowly collect them until there's enough for an album. It's satisfying to get enough songs for another album. At the rate they're going, I'm hopeful there will be enough songs for another album before 2021 is done.

As usual for this series, all the songs are done in an acoustic format. And, as usual, they do a really great job. I love their range of material. Who else would attempt an acoustic version of  "Stayin' Alive," and then follow it with a song by blues legend Robert Johnson?

By the way, Larkin Poe no longer refers to these covers as "Tip O' the Hat." Instead, they just categorize them under their blandly named "Larkin Poe Cover Channel." That's such a boring name that I plan on sticking with "Tip O' the Hat," unless they come up with something better.

Speaking of that name, with each album in this series, I've come up with an even longer album title than the last. It's been fun, but it's getting a bit preposterous and unwieldy. Do you think I should keep going, and if so, what should I call the next one? Or, if I stop, again, what should I call the next one?

Here's a list of the artists who had the original versions of each song. (In the case of "Angel Band" and "The Star Spangled Banner," one person wrote the music and then, later, another person added a new set of words to it.)

01 If I Fell - Beatles
02 Break My Stride - Matthew Wilder
03 You Can Close Your Eyes - James Taylor
04 Stayin' Alive - Bee Gees
05 Sweet Home Chicago - Robert Johnson
06 Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
07 All I Have to Do Is Dream - Everly Brothers
08 Angel Band - William Bradbury & Jefferson Hascall
09 Star Spangled Banner - John Stafford Smith & Francis Scott Key
10 Layla - Derek & the Dominos
11 Graceland - Paul Simon
12 Mama, I'm Coming Home - Ozzy Osbourne
13 Wicked Game - Chris Isaak

Here's the usual song list:

01 If I Fell (Larkin Poe)
02 Break My Stride (Larkin Poe)
03 You Can Close Your Eyes (Larkin Poe)
04 Stayin' Alive (Larkin Poe)
05 Sweet Home Chicago (Larkin Poe)
06 Wish You Were Here (Larkin Poe)
07 All I Have to Do Is Dream (Larkin Poe)
08 Angel Band (Larkin Poe)
09 Star Spangled Banner (Larkin Poe)
10 Layla (Larkin Poe)
11 Graceland (Larkin Poe)
12 Mama, I'm Coming Home (Larkin Poe)
13 Wicked Game (Larkin Poe)

https://www.imagenetz.de/cW8Lo

The photo for the album cover comes from a promo shot Larkin Poe did recently, I'm guessing earlier in 2021.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks. Volume " " was good enough for Led Zeppelin! My Android device audio software start's to get confused over such long titles too. Also in vertical mode it only displays approximately five words so this means the album is...
    'Larkin Poe - Yet Additional Even' meta data for music naming conventions aside these aren't gripes. I re-edit all your fantastic albums as software separates each track into a single album based on the difference in sources, years and artists within your excellent and detailed tagging. I use Star music re tagging software to strip all that away. All fine by me. I did gripe about it previously but you put me in the right direction. Well. You did ask! I suppose a simple txt. File with your above blog information inserted would suffice for me. But all this is probably different in a Windows PC again this is no complaint, winge or moan. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All that said! I'm considering returning to a Windows based music player software. I'm using Poweramp on Android using a Redmi 9 with its built in DAC. I know an audio hardware thread is a never ending muso theme. I just wondered what software you favoured for audio Paul?

      Delete
  2. Hi Paul, thank you very much for re-upload the bootlegs of Paul Weller but you missed these two, you could re-upload them are the only ones missing, I hope you can resubmit in a little while, thanks in advance for the work you do uploading material so great and valuable, a hug, Thank you very much. C:

    https://albumsthatshouldexist.blogspot.com/2018/07/paul-weller-arrival-time-various-studio.html

    http://albumsthatshouldexist.blogspot.com/2018/06/the-jam-beat-surrender-various-songs.html?m=0

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul, These Larkin Poe disks are fantastic. Since you like Larkin Poe, you MUST check out Lucius. Here's one of their acoustic concerts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMyo72Y0MB8

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kinda like the running gag with the ever longer titles, so go ahead, add on...

    ReplyDelete