Saturday, September 26, 2020

Neil Finn - Home Concerts 7, Los Angeles, CA, 4-22-2020 to 4-27-2020

As a  reminder, Neil Finn is the main singer and songwriter for the band Crowded House, and now he's a part of Fleetwood Mac. For the first couple of months of the coronavirus pandemic, Finn was a home concert maniac. He played a home concert nearly every single day, and then made them available for free at his website: https://www.neilfinn.com/fangradio

I don't know what happened, but he began doing them less and less, and then seemingly stopped altogether. The last home concert he posted was in early June 2020. He mentioned working on a new album, so maybe that's still taking all his time.

I previously posted six albums of his home concert material. But I waited a long time before posting any more, because I wasn't sure how to organize it. If he did more home concerts, then I would have to shuffle things around. Since it's been so long since his last home concert, I'm going to post the rest of what I have. It happens to nicely fit on two albums. This one is 54 minutes long, and the one still to come is 45 minutes long.

As I've previously mentioned, Finn has played both acoustic and full band home concerts. I've focused entirely on the acoustic ones, because I find that more interesting. He also does a mix of originals from his Split Enz, Crowded House, and solo phases of his career, plus covers. This is more of that exact same good stuff.

The notable covers this time are "When Doves Cry" by Prince, "Here, There and Everywhere" by the Beatles, "Nobody's Fault but My Own" by Beck, "You Send Me" by Sam Cooke, and "Happy Together" by the Turtles. There are some other song snippets and repeats of songs he did in earlier home concerts and the like that I left out.

01 When Doves Cry (Neil Finn)
02 Fall at Your Feet (Neil Finn)
03 Here, There and Everywhere (Neil Finn)
04 Carried Away (Neil Finn)
05 True Colours (Neil Finn)
06 Pour le Monde (Neil Finn)
07 Nobody's Fault but My Own (Neil Finn)
08 Nobody Wants To (Neil Finn)
09 You Send Me (Neil Finn)
10 You Are the One to Make Me Cry (Neil Finn)
11 Happy Together (Neil Finn)
12 Lester (Neil Finn)
13 Pineapple Head (Neil Finn)
14 Distant Sun (Neil Finn)
15 Astro (Neil Finn)
16 Dirty Creature - You Sexy Thing (Neil Finn)
17 People Are like Suns (Neil Finn)
18 Recurring Dream (Neil Finn)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15939470/NeilF_2020_HomeConcrts07LsAngelesCA__4-22-2020_to_4-27-2020_atse.zip.html

Finn posted a YouTube video of him playing the version of "When Doves Cry" that starts this album. So I took a screenshot from that video for the cover art photo.

12 comments:

  1. By the way, on a totally different note, is anyone signed up to Apple TV, or whatever this is?

    https://tv.apple.com/us/show/soul/umc.cmc.2lk66bfc7m4ze0qq9j20ktkbi

    It looks like there are some really interesting soul music shows from the early 1970s there. It would be neat to download some of those and post them, but I don't have access? Does anyone else? Are these shows actually there? I can't tell.

    They also might be here, but I don't know what Tract TV is either.

    https://trakt.tv/shows/soul/seasons/all

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, can anyone access and download this recent acoustic home concert from the Pretenders? It looks like it's only available to people in Britain for a limited time.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p08p5mbq/radio-2-live-at-home-performances-10-pretenders

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I had just discovered the rest of these the other day and then you added this one. Thank you so much for your time and effort. As a longtime Finn fan I mostly reach for live recordings before the recorded ones and these are an example of why. Neil is a genius and he is also a humble and generous human always doing these sorts of things. I am excited that you have another one on the go. Can I request that on that one you include Something by the Beatles from 16/4/2020 It was one of my wedding songs and I will play this version at my funeral.
    I tried tried to find both of those things you requested but no luck as I am out of the play regions. If you dont find it will see if I can locate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes another request and with the live over recorded version preference please add the new song "Find Your Way Back" if you are able to att all with gratitude of course

      Delete
    2. I have that one on the next album already. But I call it "Find Your Way Back Home."

      Delete
    3. Wow, I missed that version of Something. It was a rare case of an acoustic version in the middle of a band session. Thanks for the tip. I'll add that one to the final volume. If you know of any other acoustic songs I missed, please let me know and I'll figure out a way to squeeze them in too. Perhaps he did some more during the band days. I didn't give most of those a listen.

      Delete
    4. Yes thank you Find Your Way Back Home is the one. I think all the other ones I would love are the ones where it is Neil and his sons practicing for CH. Although a few of the versions are great. Chameleon Days 27th March for example. All of the show from 2nd April. .but as that does not fit the brief will leave it at that and again will be eternally grateful for these !!

      Delete
  4. also in discussion of Flight of the Conchords found this hope you can see it. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00dn88m/episodes/player

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely loving these Neil Finn sessions. I buy every album of his and attempt to see every tour. That Finn family has the gift.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great web site. Thank you for all the posts, especially Finn. I hope he continues to record from home in New Zealand now that he's left Los Angeles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's back in NZ now? Smart move, since they don't have the virus there. Maybe that explains why he stopped doing home concerts.

      Delete