Friday, September 11, 2020

Duffy - Cover Versions, Volume 2: 2009-2017

I just posted an album of Duffy's cover versions from 2004 to 2009. Here's the rest of her cover songs that are known so far, from 2009 to 2017.

Only four of the songs here have been officially released. Although that depends on what "officially released" means, because three more of the songs have been posted by Duffy on her Instagram Internet account ("Trust in Me," "Love Me Tender," and "What a Wonderful World"). Unfortunately, those three sound a little worse than the rest, especially "Trust in Me." Each of them appears to have been recorded solo in her house, and it seems they were done under less than ideal perfect conditions. They still sound pretty good though.

The other songs come from a variety of sources, including radio shows, TV shows, and concert bootlegs. The last song, "I Put a Spell on You," actually is a full song done for a TV commercial.

On a different note, Duffy is a very capable songwriter. It turns out she released an album's worth of non-album tracks in 2008, mostly B-sides. I'll post an album I've made of that at a later date.

By the way, there's one cover she's done that I can't find. She performed "No Frontiers" in 2014. If anyone has it, please let me know and I'll add it to this album.

If you're interested in Duffy's music at all, I suggest you give this and the other covers album a listen. In my opinion, both albums are better than her second album, "Endlessly," which was a disappointment.

Here's a list of the original artists that made each song famous:

01 Stay with Me - Lorraine Ellison
02 You Do Something to Me - Paul Weller
03 Band of Gold - Freda Payne
04 All I Want for Christmas Is You - Mariah Carey
05 The Christmas Song - Mel Torme / Nat King Cole
06 When I Need You - Leo Sayer
07 Ar Lan Y Mor - traditional
08 Trust in Me - Mildred Bailey / Etta James
09 Hymn to Love [Hymnes a la Mome] - Edith Piaf
10 Love Me Tender - Elvis Presley
11 What a Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong
12 Are You Sure - Timi Yuro
13 Make the World Go Away - Ray Price / Timi Yuro
14 I Put a Spell on You - Screamin' Jay Hawkins

Here's the usual song list:

01 Stay with Me (Duffy)
02 You Do Something to Me (Duffy)
03 Band of Gold (Duffy)
04 All I Want for Christmas Is You (Duffy)
05 The Christmas Song (Duffy)
06 When I Need You (Duffy)
07 Ar Lan Y Mor (Duffy)
08 Trust in Me (Duffy)
09 Hymn to Love [Hymnes a la Mome] (Duffy)
10 Love Me Tender (Duffy)
11 What a Wonderful World (Duffy)
12 Are You Sure (Duffy)
13 Make the World Go Away (Duffy)
14 I Put a Spell on You (Duffy)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15110831/Duff_2009-2017_CovrVersionsVolume2_atse.zip.html

For the cover art, I used a promotional photo from 2011.

2 comments:

  1. "Hymn To Love" is the immortal Edith Piaf, how could you not know that? Shame on you. You do such great work and then you miss on the French Female Frank Sinatra? No ice cream for you tonight!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, I accidentally left that blank. Thanks for pointing that out. I'm going to fix that now, then go eat some ice cream. ;)

      Delete