Sunday, September 13, 2020

Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs - Under the Covers, Volume 3.5 (2013)

Note that this isn't exactly an entirely new album. Back in 2018, I posted a "1.5" album to complement "Under the Covers, Volume 1" by Matthew Sweet and Susanna Hoffs, and a "2.5" album to complement their "Under the Covers, Volume 2." But although they released a "Volume 3" in 2013, I've have more trouble making a "3.5."

The problem was that Sweet and Hoffs obviously are big fans of 1960s and 1970s music, but much less so for 1980s music. Their "Volume 3" was all 1980s music, and while that album was fine, they didn't have that many extra 1980s covers, either as a duo or done solo. However, I realized I'd missed three bonus tracks to the "Volume 3." I also discovered a 2017 version of a 1980s Prince song done by Hoffs. Plus, two more songs actually squeak into the 1980s, being released in the year 1980: "Teacher, Teacher" and "The Tide Is High."

Still, that wasn't enough material for all 1980s covers material. In order to make up for that, I've moved a bunch of songs from my previous 2.5 album here with originals that date from the late 1970s. Specifically, I moved everything from 1977 or after to here. 1977 was a pivotal year, with punk and new wave becoming new musical trends, while disco became super dominant that year as well.

I bunched the late 1970s at the start, before the 1980s ones. However, I end this album with "Marquee Moon," a late 1970s song, since it's a ten-minute long guitar workout, and that seems like a fitting closing song to me.

01 Dreaming (Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs)
02 I Wanna Be Sedated (Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs)
03 You Say You Don't Love Me (Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs)
04 American Girl (Matthew Sweet)
05 Magnet and Steel (Matthew Sweet with Lindsey Buckingham)
06 Train in Vain [Stand by Me] (Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs)
07 The Tide Is High (Matthew Sweet)
08 Teacher, Teacher (Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs)
09 I Would Die 4 U (Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs)
10 You're My Favorite Waste of Time (Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs)
11 Take Me with U (Susanna Hoffs)
12 Marquee Moon (Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15263815/MattSwtSusH_2013_UndrCovrsVolme3.5_atse.zip.html

The cover art photo was taken backstage at a concert at the Roxy in Los Angeles in 2007. There were two photos, and one was good except Hoffs looked dead serious. In the other one, she was smiling. So I used Photoshop to add her smile to the other photo.

1 comment:

  1. I've got most of these, but I'll happily download for the few scraps I'm missing. These albums are great, and I wish they'd do more of them. Thanks.

    BTW, the *original* version of "The Tide Is High" is actually from 1967, but of course the 1980 version is the one everyone knows...

    ReplyDelete