Saturday, September 12, 2020

Joni Mitchell - Looking Out for Love - On TV and Radio (1969)

Woo-hoo! Boy, am I excited! I just found out that Joni Mitchell is going to release a box set called "Archives, Volume 1: The Early Years, 1963-1967." It's coming out next month, and it consists ENTIRELY of previously unreleased material. I think this is going to be the best archival release by anyone in many years! Most of it has never even been bootlegged before. You can read more about it here:

https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/joni-mitchell-archives-volume-1-the-early-years-1963-1967-box-set/

In celebration of that coming release, I want to post something else by her. I'd started out posting an "On TV and Radio" series of albums by her back in February 2020, but I got sidetracked and I haven't continued it. You can find the first volume of that here:

https://albumsthatshouldexist.blogspot.com/2020/02/joni-mitchell-born-to-take-highway-on.html

The thinking of this series is that it gathers stray songs here and there from TV or radio performances that don't fit anywhere else and are significant in some way. By significant, I mean otherwise unreleased originals or covers, or duets, or live versions of her songs that haven't been recorded well on concert bootlegs. The sound quality is variable. But hopefully this will tie people over for another year or more, when the next volume in her "Archives" box set series will be released. I'm optimistic most of this material will be released on that - maybe not the exact same performances in every case, but at least the songs.

The only otherwise unreleased original here is "Looking Out for Love." It's really more of a song snippet, just a minute and a half long, but hey, it's a Joni original from her most popular time period. It also contains some rare cover versions: "I Still Miss Someone," "Long Black Veil," "I Shall Be Released," and "Let's Get Together." The first two of those are duets with Johnny Cash from his TV show. I have a couple more performances and some banter from her two appearances on that show.

The rest of the songs are live versions of songs that generally didn't make it on any of the concert bootlegs I've posted at this site.

I have a couple more albums in this series. I'll try to get to posting them sooner rather than later.

Oh, one more thing. Back in 2018, I posted an album containing other musicians performing Mitchell's songs that not only have never been officially released, but have never even appeared on publicly available bootlegs. They were able to do this due to a music book that contains the sheet music to some of her ultra rare songs. I found two more such songs, "Daisy Summer Piper" and "Cara's Castle," that emerged on YouTube earlier in 2020. "Cara's Castle" is going to appear on the new archival box set, but "Daisy Summer Piper" and most of the other songs on this collection still won't. Hopefully, they'll make it on the next box set in the series. If this sounds interesting to you, here's the link:

https://albumsthatshouldexist.blogspot.com/2018/05/various-artists-unreleased-and-unknown.html

01 talk (Joni Mitchell)
02 Both Sides Now (Joni Mitchell)
03 talk (Joni Mitchell)
04 I Still Miss Someone (Joni Mitchell & Johnny Cash)
05 I Shall Be Released (Joni Mitchell, Cass Elliott & Mary Travers)
06 Looking Out for Love (Joni Mitchell)
07 Let's Get Together (Joni Mitchell)
08 talk (Joni Mitchell)
09 Rainy Night House - Blue Boy (Joni Mitchell)
10 talk (Joni Mitchell)
11 I Think I Understand (Joni Mitchell)
12 talk (Joni Mitchell)
13 The Fiddle and the Drum (Joni Mitchell)
14 talk (Joni Mitchell & Johnny Cash)
15 The Gallery (Joni Mitchell)
16 talk (Joni Mitchell & Johnny Cash)
17 Long Black Veil (Joni Mitchell & Johnny Cash)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15256294/JoniMchl_1969_LookngOutforLve_atse.zip.html

The cover art photo comes from a TV show appearance she did in 1969. I believe it's the one where she played "I Shall Be Released."

1 comment:

  1. Been away from the computer for awhile so just getting caught up. I, like you, are absolutely drooling over the prospect of have so much early Joni (the best Joni IMHO) to listen to. And these TV cuts presented here are ones I've never acquired. Looking forward to these also. Thanks as always for what you do. A labor of love I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete