Saturday, April 13, 2024

The Hoodoo Gurus - Ethos Mama Club, Gabicce Mare, Italy, 7-17-1987

I have long been a fan of the Australian band the Hoodoo Gurus, especially their 1980s material. (They're still going as I write this in 2024.) I've particularly wanted to post a live album from them. They've posted one live album, but only as part of a multi-disc set called "Bite the Bullet," and it's compiled from lots of different concerts. I usually prefer hearing a full, unedited concert. The problem was, every time I came across a concert bootleg by the band, the sound quality was lacking - decent, but not excellent. A couple of days ago, I finally came across a concert with the sound quality I was looking for. So here it is.

I don't know much about the sourcing for this bootleg, except there's a video on YouTube of this exact show which these exact songs (broken up into several smaller videos), so this probably is taken from that, although I found the audio files of it instead. According to setlist.fm, there actually were some more songs played that didn't make this recording: "Hell for Leather," "Dig It Up," "Death Defying," and "Leilani." That's a shame, but at least it has "I Want You Back." In my opinion, in a better world, that's a great song that would have been a worldwide smash hit.

This album is 46 minutes long.

01 In the Wild (Hoodoo Gurus)
02 On My Street (Hoodoo Gurus)
03 Good Times (Hoodoo Gurus)
04 Come and See Me [I'm Your Man] (Hoodoo Gurus)
05 talk (Hoodoo Gurus)
06 In the Middle of the Land (Hoodoo Gurus)
07 I Want You Back (Hoodoo Gurus)
08 Mars Needs Guitars (Hoodoo Gurus)
09 I Was the One (Hoodoo Gurus)
10 What's My Scene (Hoodoo Gurus)
11 Bittersweet (Hoodoo Gurus)
12 Like Now - Wipeout (Hoodoo Gurus)
13 Teenage Head (Hoodoo Gurus)
14 I Was a Kamikaze Pilot (Hoodoo Gurus)

https://www.upload.ee/files/16517240/THODOGRUS1987EthsMmaClbGbcceMreItaly__7-17-1987_atse.zip.html

The cover shows the band's lead singer Dave Faulker at a concert in Munich, Germany, in June 1987. I got the font for the band name at the top from a concert poster.

5 comments:

  1. I'm actually only vaguely familiar with their name, and not any of their music. I may have to check them out... Thanks, G.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope this turns you on to them. They rock. And this is just about the perfect 1980s power pop song, in my opinion (even though the video is rather silly):
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZWXa7x4LME

      Delete
    2. Ah, ultra pop 80s - got it. I'll check out the live recording to compare to the studio version. Thanks, G.

      Delete
  2. Fantastic post! Many thanks for sharing this live gem by the Hoodoo Gurus. What a great (unknown) band from Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw them Live in a small pub in Melbourne early 80's. Brilliant live back then. Did a great version of Gary Glitter's Rock N Roll Part 1 (or was it 2).

    ReplyDelete