Monday, April 8, 2024

Al Stewart - University of Warwick, Coventry, Britain, 11-8-1970

I'm back from my vacation in New Orleans. I had a really good time. I was especially impressed by the food, doubly so since I'm vegetarian. Thanks for all the well wishes while I was gone, and thanks for your patience.

I hadn't planned on posting this Al Stewart concert. Most of it has been officially released on the mega box set "The Admiralty Lights." But while I was on vacation, musical associate Lil Panda posted a bunch of songs from this exact concert that wasn't included in that box set at a bootleg sharing site. He also included a set list of the complete concert. So it was a no-brainer for me to put the entire concert together, mixing the released and unreleased songs.

I wouldn't have posted this had it not been for the fact that the sound quality is really excellent. This has to be the best sounding concert recording from this early in Stewart's career, probably by a good margin. Both the unreleased and released songs sound equally great, so it's just about impossible to tell which is which. (If you're curious, the unreleased tracks are: 14, 15, 16, 17, 25, 26, 27, 28, and 29.) As for why some songs weren't included, my best guess is that they included as many as could fit on a single CD.

This is a solo acoustic performance, and Stewart was in top form. There's a good amount of banter before almost every song. He also played some rare songs, especially the covers "It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)" by Bob Dylan and the 1950s classic "Summertime Blues."

This album is an hour and 48 minutes long.

01 Swiss Cottage Manoeuvres (Al Stewart)
02 talk (Al Stewart)
03 Zero She Flies (Al Stewart)
04 talk (Al Stewart)
05 Electric Los Angeles Sunset (Al Stewart)
06 talk (Al Stewart)
07 Songs Out of Clay (Al Stewart)
08 talk (Al Stewart)
09 In Brooklyn (Al Stewart)
10 talk (Al Stewart)
11 Samuel, Oh How You've Changed (Al Stewart)
12 talk (Al Stewart)
13 Room of Roots (Al Stewart)
14 talk (Al Stewart)
15 It's Alright Ma [I'm Only Bleeding] (Al Stewart)
16 talk (Al Stewart)
17 News from Spain (Al Stewart)
18 Old Compton Street Blues (Al Stewart)
19 talk (Al Stewart)
20 Elvaston Place (Al Stewart)
21 talk (Al Stewart)
22 Manuscript (Al Stewart)
23 talk (Al Stewart)
24 Love Chronicles (Al Stewart)
25 talk (Al Stewart)
26 Small Fruit Song (Al Stewart)
27 Summertime Blues (Al Stewart)
28 talk (Al Stewart)
29 My Enemies Have Sweet Voices (Al Stewart)

https://www.imagenetz.de/dsp58

I couldn't find any good photos of Stewart that clearly came from 1970. In fact, I couldn't really find any color photos of him in concert from before about 1973. So I used a black and white that is from "circa 1970." But I don't know anything else about it. I used the Palette program to convert it into color.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had a great vacation! And thanks for another great Al Stewart concert. I actually saw Al in 1990, who sat in with a little known jazz band called Windows. They opened for The Rippingtons, which was a fantastic show all around. I was there for The Rippingtons but liked it so much I bought the album Windows was touring to support, Blue September. Al co-wrote and played on the title track of the album. And of course, Al played a couple of his big hits as well as the title track, while on stage. It was a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Do you the Cambridge Folk Festival 1989?
    Thanks for looking.

    ReplyDelete