Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Thank You and Farewell - The Closing of the Fillmore East, Fillmore East, New York City, 6-27-1971, Part 6: Country Joe McDonald

This sixth album of the closing of the Fillmore East in New York City in 1971 is a very short one. But I figure since all the other sets are their own albums, this one should be its own album too. This features singer-songwriter Country Joe McDonald.

McDonald had been the leader of the rock band Country Joe and the Fish from 1965 until the band's break-up in 1970. He then pursued a solo career in more of a singer-songwriter mode.

He performed this concert solo, just vocals and guitar. He'd just released his most recent album, "Hold On It's Coming" a couple of months prior to this concert. But the only song he played from it was the title song.

This album is 16 minutes long. This just might be the shortest album I've posted at this blog so far.

As short as this album is, it was even shorter before I started editing it. I cut out a couple of minutes of guitar tuning. It seems he took a extra long time because he broke a string.

56 talk by Bill Graham (Country Joe McDonald)
57 Kiss My Ass (Country Joe McDonald)
58 Entertainment Is My Business (Country Joe McDonald)
59 I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-to-Die Rag (Country Joe McDonald)
60 talk (Country Joe McDonald)
61 Rockin' All Around the World (Country Joe McDonald)
62 Hold On It's Coming (Country Joe McDonald)

https://www.upload.ee/files/16376038/VA-ThnkYounFrwll197106CntryJoMcDnld.zip.html

The cover photo comes from this exact concert. However, the photo was black and white. I colorized with the help of the Palette program.

8 comments:

  1. My recollection of listening to this live in NYC was Alison Steele saying on the WNEW-FM/WPLJ simulcast that Country Joe's appearance was a surprise to everyone: "Nobody knew he was in the house and then he was up on stage." Thank you for your work on this series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that would help explain things, like why his set was so short. He probably volunteered to keep the crowd entertained while the next act got ready.

      Delete
  2. I have a verssion of this show and after Entertainment is my Business Joe does the Fuck Cheer, which seems to be edited at the end so the crowd cannot be heard. My version does not have the broken string chat which is a nice addition for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do you have something I don't? If so, please send it to me so I can add it in.

      Delete
  3. Here is the version I have https://krakenfiles.com/view/zI5jZENuI9/file.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I listened to that, and the Fish Cheer is only ten seconds long and then gets suddenly cut off. So I can see why that wasn't included in my version. I think it's best to leave it off, unless the full version shows up. But thanks anyway.

      Delete
  4. I read somewhere that as it was broacast on the radio they didnt want people shouting FUCK, so cut it. When Joe played the Isle of Wight in 2007 he did the cheer and he said "Whats that spell", maybe 30 times and the crowed replied each time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that would make sense. But the person on the cut button was a little slow on the uptake so a few seconds got broadcast.

      Delete