Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Larkin Poe - Rockpalast, E-Werk, Cologne, Germany, 10-23-2023

I like posting music by Larkin Poe, because I feel they're very underrated and more people should listen to their music. But I've just checked, and it's been nearly a year since I last posted anything by them. I think that's mainly because I didn't see anything worthy of posting, especially when it comes to sound quality. But I've finally found this unreleased concert. They played a full concert for the German TV show "Rockpalast" six months ago (as I write this in March 2024), so the sound quality is excellent.

I consider Larkin Poe one of the best relatively new and young rock acts these days. But I gather it's not very easy for an act like theirs to get attention these days, with very limited opportunities for promotion via TV, movies, radio, and such. It seems that Larkin Poe has slowly been growing in popularity the hard way, mostly through self-promotion, especially lots of touring, and word of mouth. So I'm gratified to find out they've finally gotten popular enough to have an entire concert broadcast by Rockpalast, a very established German TV show that's been running since 1976. And, as you can see from the cover photo, their crowds are getting bigger and bigger. I think that's especially true in Europe.

Their most recent studio album is "Blood Harmony," released in 2022. They heavily promoted that album in this concert, playing eight of the eleven songs from it. Most everything they did were originals, with the exception of "Preachin' Blues" by Son House, "Crocodile Rock" by Elton John, and portions of the instrumentals "Jessica" by the Allman Brothers Band and "Rumble" by Link Wray.

Most of the music I've posted by them has been acoustic in nature, such as the long running "Tip O' the Hat" series of acoustic cover versions. But this is a very rocking concert with a full band, except for two acoustic numbers. I they're they're great in both modes, full-band and acoustic.

This concert is an hour and 22 minutes long.

01 Kick the Blues (Larkin Poe)
02 talk (Larkin Poe)
03 Summertime Sunset - Jessica (Larkin Poe)
04 talk (Larkin Poe)
05 Georgia Off My Mind (Larkin Poe)
06 Preachin' Blues (Larkin Poe)
07 talk (Larkin Poe)
08 She's a Self Made Man (Larkin Poe)
09 Back Down South (Larkin Poe)
10 Blue Ridge Mountains (Larkin Poe)
11 talk (Larkin Poe)
12 Might as Well Be Me (Larkin Poe)
13 talk (Larkin Poe)
14 Southern Comfort (Larkin Poe)
15 Crocodile Rock (Larkin Poe)
16 Rumble - Holy Ghost Fire (Larkin Poe)
17 talk (Larkin Poe)
18 Bad Spell (Larkin Poe)
19 Wanted Woman - AC-DC (Larkin Poe)
20 Bolt Cutters and the Family Name (Larkin Poe)
21 Deep Stays Down (Larkin Poe)

https://www.upload.ee/files/16379125/LARKNPO2023bRckplstEWrkClgnGrmny__10-23-2023_atse.zip.html

The cover is a screenshot I took of a video from this exact concert. I chose a frame that could give an indication of how big their crowds have grown.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this. They really are a terrific band. I like what they'e doing now and I also liked when they were a bluegrass band with their sister as the Lovell Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  2. First time hearing them. Very impressed. Great band.

    ReplyDelete