Tuesday, May 18, 2021

The Faces - I Came Looking for You - Non-Album Tracks (1971-1972)

Here's the next in my series of stray track albums for the Faces. This comes from the years the band arguably hit their peak with the studio albums "Long Player' and "A Nod Is as Good as a Wink... To a Blind Horse."

As I explained with the last album in this series, Rod Stewart was the lead singer in the band at the same time he was having an increasingly successful solo career. During these years, he did all his concerts with the Faces. Sometimes, songs on his solo albums would be backed by the Faces too. I'm not including any songs from his solo albums though, since I figure anyone who wants this already has those.

So where do the songs here come from? It's a mixture of A- and B-sides singles, bonus tracks, and BBC performances. (One BBC performance, "I Want to Be Loved," is officially unreleased, but the sound quality is fine.) 

 The last three come from the soundtrack to an obscure movie called "Mahoney's Last Stand." This movie wasn't released until 1976, but it, and the songs for it, were finished in 1972, so I consider them done in that year. Technically, these were done by only two members of the band, Ronnie Lane and Ronnie Wood, but other Faces members Ian McLagan and Kenny Jones played on some songs too, so it was almost like a Faces album minus their usual lead singer Rod Stewart. 

Some of the songs for that soundtrack were later done for the Faces or for Ronnie Lane's solo career, so I generally didn't use any of those. (However, I did use one song used later, "Anymore for Anymore," because this version is significantly different.) Also, many of the songs are instrumentals that aren't that notable, just generic background movie music, so I'm not using any of those either. 

01 Maybe I'm Amazed (Faces)
02 Oh Lord I'm Browned Off [Instrumental] (Faces)
03 I Came Looking for You (Faces)
04 Sham-Mozzal [Instrumental] [Early Version of Had Me a Real Good Time] (Faces)
05 Whole Lotta Woman (Faces)
06 I Want to Be Loved (Faces)
07 Anymore for Anymore (Ronnie Lane & Ronnie Wood)
08 'Mona' the Blues (Ronnie Lane & Ronnie Wood)
09 Tonight's Number [Instrumental] (Ronnie Lane & Ronnie Wood)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15223445/TFacs_1971-1972_ICmeLookingforYou_atse.zip.html

The cover art photo comes from 1971, but I don't know any other details about it.

3 comments:

  1. can you please repost The Faces - I Came Looking for You - Various Songs (1971-1972) the link is dead

    ReplyDelete