Thursday, May 27, 2021

Aimee Mann - Acoustic Versions, Volume 1 (1993)

Now that I've posted a bunch of Aimee Mann stray tracks albums, I want to post some albums I've made of acoustic versions she did of her songs. I think she's a strong songwriter, I generally like the lush production she usually does on her albums. But her songs do very well when they're stripped down to simple acoustic versions too.

This album comes from the very start of her solo career, the same year as her first solo album, "Whatever." Prior to that, she'd led the band 'Til Tuesday. She did a couple of 'Til Tuesday songs here, "Coming Up Close" and "The Other End (Of the Telescope)." I'm especially grateful for the acoustic version of "Coming Up Close," 'cos that's a freaking great song that should have been a big hit in some alternate universe where the best music is also the most popular. 

"'J' for Jules" is a 'Til Tuesday song too, but that got bumped down to bonus track only status due to sound quality issues.

Half of the songs here were officially released. Most of those were released as B-sides. The rest, although unreleased, all come from in-person radio station appearances, so the sound quality is a good as a studio session, without any crowd noise.

I think this is great stuff. If you're an Aimee Mann fan, this is a must-have. And I have three more of these coming dealing with the rest of her career (so far).

01 Coming Up Close (Aimee Mann)
02 4th of July (Aimee Mann)
03 Stupid Thing (Aimee Mann)
04 Put Me on Top (Aimee Mann)
05 I Should've Known (Aimee Mann)
06 The Other End [Of the Telescope] (Aimee Mann)
07 I Know There's a Word (Aimee Mann)
08 Could've Been Anyone (Aimee Mann)
09 Say Anything (Aimee Mann)
10 I've Had It (Aimee Mann)

 'J' for Jules (Aimee Mann)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15601750/AimeMn_1993_AcoustcVersionsVolume1_atse.zip.html

I couldn't find any good photos of Aimee Mann with an acoustic guitar from 1993. The closest I got was this one from 1995. It's from the Phoenix Music Festival, which you'd think took place in Phoenix, Arizona, but actually was in Stratford-upon-Avon in Britain.

4 comments:

  1. I'd buy it. For me this was her prime period through around '98. After that her albums seem to just be songs that sound so much alike I can hardly recall which is which, nearly always midtempo and rather monotone. Still like her, but miss when she would do more dynamic music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know this artist. Now I'm listening to his first album but I like the one you have compiled better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here there are two more good sounding acoustic versions from Whatever. Both are from 1994 but I think They Would fit in your compilation.
    Jacob Marley's Chain
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UXaby6lmwU
    Fifty Years After The Fair
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeLokD7Ihhg

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete