Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Bonnie Raitt - KSAN Radio Show, The Record Plant, Sausalito, CA, 12-9-1973

It's a shame there still are no official live albums from the early part of Bonnie Raitt's career. In my opinion, her first three albums all among with her best, and she was a talented live performer with entertaining between song banter from the very start. I've posted a couple of her bootleg concerts from 1971 or 1972 already, but those were solo acoustic. This is from 1973, so it encompasses her third album as well, and it's with a semi-acoustic band. 

But what really makes this a special recording, in my opinion, is the sound quality. This was recorded at a recording studio for a live radio broadcast in front of a VERY small audience. At one point, Raitt commented that she guessed 25 people were there. It also was a very polite audience that never made any noise during the songs. So while there's some clapping after every song, this is about as good and clear as concert recordings get.

As I often do with concert recordings, I broke the banter between songs into their own tracks, then boosted the volume of that banter. I also cut out some guitar tuning between songs, but there wasn't much of that to cut.

The only bummer about this recording is that it's only 53 minutes long, which is relatively short compared to a typical full concert. All the songs she played came from her excellent first three albums, with the exception of the last song, which is a cover of the Aretha Franklin hit "Baby, I Love You."

01 talk (Bonnie Raitt)
02 Love Me like a Man (Bonnie Raitt)
03 talk (Bonnie Raitt)
04 You Got to Know How (Bonnie Raitt)
05 talk (Bonnie Raitt)
06 I Thought I Was a Child (Bonnie Raitt)
07 talk (Bonnie Raitt)
08 Under the Falling Sky (Bonnie Raitt)
09 talk (Bonnie Raitt)
10 Everybody's Crying Mercy (Bonnie Raitt)
11 talk (Bonnie Raitt)
12 Give It Up or Let Me Go (Bonnie Raitt)
13 Too Long at the Fair (Bonnie Raitt)
14 talk (Bonnie Raitt)
15 I Feel the Same (Bonnie Raitt)
16 talk (Bonnie Raitt)
17 Guilty (Bonnie Raitt)
18 talk (Bonnie Raitt)
19 Women Be Wise (Bonnie Raitt)
20 talk (Bonnie Raitt)
21 Love Has No Pride (Bonnie Raitt)
22 talk (Bonnie Raitt)
23 Baby, I Love You (Bonnie Raitt)

https://www.imagenetz.de/auMpG

The cover art photo was taken at a concert in Lenox, Massachusetts, in August 1973. A backing musician was behind her, but I considered that distracting so I used Photoshop to edit him out.

6 comments:

  1. Jeez, Paul! EVERY day there's at least one post I can't live without.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the praise. :) I hope I can keep that going for a long, long time.

      Delete
  2. Everyday, I start by looking at this Blog! Keep the good news rolling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyday, I start by looking at this Blog! Keep the good news rolling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excelente amigo...muchas gracias, su blog es perfecto...!!! Sdos desde Bs As...!

    ReplyDelete