Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Petra Haden - Acappella 1: Frame by Frame (2016)

In 2005, Petra Haden released an album called "Petra Haden Sings The Who Sell Out," which contained acappella versions of all the songs on the Who's "The Who Sell Out," done in the exact order of the original album. I really enjoyed this album (even though I'd never heard of Petra Haden), because she didn't just sing the lyrics, she sang all the instruments too, creating a full sound that allows one to hear the Who's great album in a different way. She even sang all the fake commercials between the songs.

While I liked that album a lot, I didn't get any of her other albums. Actually, she's mainly known for being a violinist in a variety of bands and hasn't put out much solo stuff at all, even though she has a great voice. However, I recently discovered that she's been active on YouTube since 2016, putting out her acappella versions of all sorts of interesting songs. So I've gathered them up and assembled them into albums, generally ordered by the dates of her YouTube postings.

This is as good as acappella music gets. This is miles beyond barbershop quartets. Think the Beach Boys at their vocal best, except it's all just Haden, multitracked enough to sometimes sound like a full orchestra of voices.

You really need to down this and check it out. I think it's very cool, and it's a shame that she's only put these out on YouTube instead of releasing them on albums. She has a very interesting taste in music, obviously picking songs by how well she thinks they'd work in acappella form. On this album alone, she covers Duran Duran, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, David Bowie, the Psychedelic Furs, Journey, the Beach Boys, and more!

By the way, the last three songs don't fit with the others chronologically. They are from years before (2007 to 2012), and were all the other acappella songs I could find from her other than her "Who Sell Out" album. But musically they fit in perfectly with the rest of the album, and I didn't have anywhere else to put them.

She's posted so many songs that this is just the first of four albums I've compiled, of about 45 minutes of music each. And she's releasing new songs from time to time, so hopefully I'll eventually be able to post even more from her.

01 Save a Prayer (Petra Haden)
02 Blade Runner Theme (Petra Haden)
03 Frame by Frame (Petra Haden)
04 Don't Box Me In (Petra Haden)
05 Goodbye Blue Sky (Petra Haden)
06 Life on Mars (Petra Haden)
07 The Ghost in You (Petra Haden)
08 Love My Way (Petra Haden)
09 Batman Theme (Petra Haden)
10 Don't Stop Believin' (Petra Haden)
11 Music (Petra Haden)
12 God Only Knows (Petra Haden)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15634474/PetraH_2016_Acapella1FrmebyFrme_atse.zip.html

I made the cover from a photo of Haden, but I don't know what year it's from.

3 comments:

  1. I like this kind of stuff. Check out The Bobs. I also have what I assume is a one off thing by a group called Voices that do a complete A Capella version of Dark Side of the Moon. Thanks for this and all of the Hitchcock, Fleetwood Mac and Townsend. I'll be busy for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips. I'm going to check out both the Bobs and the Dark Side thing. Any recommendation on the best Bobs album? I see they have a lot.

    ReplyDelete