Tuesday, October 9, 2018

The White Stripes - Let's Shake Hands - Non-Album Tracks (1997-2000)

A couple of weeks ago, someone posted a comment here suggesting that I gather up all the early stray tracks by the White Stripes. To be honest, there aren't a lot of rock bands from the last 20 years or so that interest me as much as those from the 1960s to 1980s. But I definitely consider the White Stripes worthy. So this is the first of several albums from them.

The songs here actually start before the White Stripes even existed. The first three songs are by a duo called the Upholsterers, made up of future White Stripes frontman Jack White and Brian Muldoon of the band Muldoons. They only released three songs, which came out in 2000, but actually were recorded in 1997. But don't worry, these songs sound exactly like early White Stripes songs.

The other songs here are mostly A- and B-sides. But I was very careful to make sure there was no overlap between any of these songs and the songs on the official White Stripes albums. I also did a deep dive and found a couple other interesting songs, such as a live version of the classic soul tune "Love Potion No. 9" recorded at the White Stripes' very first public performance.

There are 17 songs here, which normally would be a lot, but they're all pretty short, so this only totals 39 minutes of music.

01 Apple of My Eye (Upholsterers)
02 I Ain't Superstitious (Upholsterers)
03 Pain [Give Me Sympathy] (Upholsterers)
04 Love Potion No. 9 (White Stripes)
05 Signed D.C. (White Stripes)
06 I've Been Loving You Too Long (White Stripes)
07 Let's Shake Hands (White Stripes)
08 Look Me Over Closely (White Stripes)
09 Lafayette Blues (White Stripes)
10 Candy Cane Children (White Stripes)
11 Hand Springs (White Stripes)
12 Red Bowling Ball Ruth (White Stripes)
13 Jolene (White Stripes)
14 Lord, Send Me an Angel (White Stripes)
15 Party of Special Things to Do (White Stripes)
16 Ashtray Heart (White Stripes)
17 China Pig (White Stripes)

https://www.imagenetz.de/etcKi

Thanks to The Lifehouse for the cover art.

4 comments:

  1. https://imgur.com/a/XvUprnU

    Something talking heads inspired for this one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again. I just added this one too. I like your adherence to the band's color scheme.

      Delete
  2. I wish I could download any of your stuff, but zippyshare is not letting me download anything. Instead they're trying to give me viruses and malware.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're having trouble downloading things from my blog, for instance you click on a ZippyShare link and get an annoying ad, I have a few recommendations.

      1) Try right clicking on the link, and opening it in a new window. People say that helps.
      2) Use an ad blocker add on or extension for your browser. That's what I do, and it leaves Zippyshare free of all the crud. Plus, it's a good thing that helps you avoid ads when browsing on the Internet in general. There's a bunch to choose from, and they're generally free.
      3) Use a VPN. That stands for Virtual Private Network. Zippyshare is banned in a few European countries, so this is a way to hide what country you're in. Actually, it's a good (and perfectly legal) thing to do when browsing the Internet in general.
      3) If all else fails, I also share everything I post on my blog through the music file-sharing program SoulseekQT. It's free, no strings attached, and super easy to use. Just search for the artist and album title, plus "atse" (which stands for "Albums That Should Exist").

      Delete