Friday, October 12, 2018

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Looking Forward - Alternate Version (1999)

I remember when "Looking Forward" by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young came out in 1999. I'd been very hopeful that CSNY would put out something great, and I was disappointed by what actually came out. In retrospect, it isn't a bad album, it's just that it couldn't live up to the standards set by earlier works such as the "Deja Vu" album.

Taken one by one, the songs were actually pretty good, but something seemed off. I think the production was one big problem. It wasn't outright bad, like the production on some earlier CSN albums, but there was something off about the sound. Maybe it was too slick and digital. The backing vocals in particular were odd. They sounded massed and processed, so one couldn't make out the interaction of the individual voices.

I've done two things to fix the problems of the original album. First off, I've changed some of the songs on it. Actually, I like nearly all of the songs. However, CSNY in its various permutations recorded some songs in the late 1990s that deserved to be on the album. For example, in 1998, CSN released "Half Your Angels," but only for free through their website. The CSNY song "Climber" only came out on the David Crosby compilation "Voyage." So I've included a total of six songs not originally on the album. To make room, I'm bumped five of the original songs onto my next CSNY album, which I imagine could have come out in 2002.

Secondly, I tried to address the production problems. Luckily, in 2000, CSNY went on tour and played all but three of the songs from the album. Also luckily, a high quality soundboard bootleg exists of one of the concerts. I've used that to replace all the songs I could, while also removing all the audience noise. This results in more of a rough, "warts and all" sound, but I much prefer that to the overproduction, and especially over whatever weird thing they did with the massed backing vocals.

I wouldn't say this is a great replacement for the original "Looking Forward," since five of the songs from it are on the 2002 album I've made, and they're some of the better songs. Instead, hopefully you'll listen to that one too once I post it, and judge what CSNY was doing around the turn of the millennium as a whole.

By the way, there are only three songs here that are the exact performances on the original album: "No Tears Left," "Queen of Them All," and "Sanibel." I did find a live version of "No Tears Left," but it was only performed rarely in concert, and the sound on the bootlegged version is merely okay, so I stuck with the original,

01 Looking Forward (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young)
02 Wounded World (Stephen Stills with Graham Nash)
03 Climber (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young)
04 Half Your Angels (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
05 Acadienne (Stephen Stills with Graham Nash)
06 Slowpoke (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young)
07 Time Is the Final Currency (Crosby & Nash)
08 No Tears Left (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young)
09 Out of Control (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young)
10 Morrison (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
11 Someday Soon (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young)
12 Queen of Them All (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young)
13 Sanibel (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young)

https://www.upload.ee/files/16408173/CROSBSTLLSNSHYNG1999LokngFrwrd_atse.zip.html

The cover art comes from a press conference in 1999 to promote the new album.

7 comments:

  1. Totally agree about CSN[Y]'s production in the later years in all permutations of the group. Most of the songs were great but sounded too slick for me. I've always wished for an album of new songs done in the style of Stephen's "Stills Alone" album, sparse acoustic arrangements to showcase the rich harmonies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. It's very frustrating to me that CSN/CSNY never seemed to understand the popular appeal of doing their music in an acoustic style. They kept chasing the latest hit sounds with synths and drum machines and such, and it wasn't them.

      Sadly, I don't know of any latter day album-length CSN or CSNY that's in all acoustic mode. They did do acoustic concerts sometimes, but then they'd mostly play their old songs.

      Still, these versions I posted are better than the ones on the original album. One just has to look at the list of dozens of contributing musicians in the liner notes to see how overcooked it was.

      Delete
  2. I got an album by my favorite band the Monks I made I'd love for you to upload here!

    https://mega.nz/#F!l8hGSCyD!FmOfxK7YJXOeZ2w2GYrOzw

    It's the one titled "White Monk Time"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://altalbumsfornufags.blogspot.com/

      Don't you have your own alt-album blog to post to? LOL

      Delete
    2. I forgot about that, haha! I just gotta write some BS down

      Delete
  3. Well Done!....finally got around to it today...knocked out!...grabbing the heartland now

    ReplyDelete
  4. This version is better than the official release. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete