Saturday, October 20, 2018

Robyn Hitchcock - Acoustic Soft Boys Songs (1987-2016)

I still have a bazillion Robyn Hitchcock albums to post. But here's something a little different from the types of albums I've been posting so far. I've already posted one album of Hitchcock covering other artists, and I have a lot more of that coming. Here he is covering himself - meaning doing acoustic versions of songs from his days leading the Soft Boys.

The Soft Boys were definitely a rock and roll band. Hitchcock's solo career often bounces between rocking and acoustic albums, but he's been much more acoustic-based, especially with tons of solo acoustic concerts. Generally speaking, he hasn't drawn much on his Soft Boys material in those concerts. But from time to time he has pulled out an acoustic version of a Soft Boys song. This album has a very wide range, from 1987 to 2016. By scouring nearly his entire solo concert career, I've managed to find about an hour's worth of sounds in high sound quality that fit this theme.

If you like Hitchcock at all, you should check this out. In my opinion, the Soft Boys' "Underwater Moonight" is a definite five star album, and he does most of the songs from it, but giving them an acoustic twist. The other songs are reborn in their new arrangements too. As usual, I removed all the crowd noise I could, so it sounds like Hitchcock is playing your favorite Soft Boys songs on an acoustic guitar in your living room.

UPDATE: On December 16, 2021, I updated the mp3 download file. Previously, I'd only included "Rock N' Roll Toilet" as a bonus track because it had lively drums on it, which pushed the envelope of the theme here. But I used the audio editing program Spleeter to drastically reduce the loudness of the drums, making it fit in better. So I've included it in the regular song list. By the way, how can you not love a guy who writes a song with the title "Rock N' Roll Toilet?" ;)

01 Sandra's Having Her Brain Out (Robyn Hitchcock)
02 Strange (Robyn Hitchcock)
03 Old Pervert (Robyn Hitchcock)
04 Tonight (Robyn Hitchcock)
05 Wey Wey Hep Uh Hole (Robyn Hitchcock)
06 Queen of Eyes [Solo Electric Version] (Robyn Hitchcock)
07 Kingdom of Love [Solo Electric Version] (Robyn Hitchcock)
08 Insanely Jealous (Robyn Hitchcock)
09 I Got the Hots (Robyn Hitchcock)
10 Give It to the Soft Boys (Robyn Hitchcock)
11 Rock 'N' Roll Toilet [Edit] (Robyn Hitchcock)
12 Only the Stones Remain (Robyn Hitchcock)
13 I Wanna Destroy You (Robyn Hitchcock)
14 Give Me a Spanner, Ralph (Robyn Hitchcock)
15 Human Music (Robyn Hitchcock)
16 I Like Bananas [Because They Have No Bones] (Robyn Hitchcock)

https://www.imagenetz.de/acZoe

I made the cover using the Soft Boys crab logo plus some text.

No comments:

Post a Comment