Thursday, January 25, 2024

U2 - BBC Sessions, Volume 1: 1980-1983

I've been focusing on posting BBC material at this blog for a few years now, what I think of as my big BBC project. But there's just so much to post. There are major artists I haven't even touched yet. U2 is one. I have a whole bunch of U2 BBC albums to post. This first one consists of BBC studio sessions.

I believe all the songs here are unreleased, except for three: "With a Shout," "I Threw a Brick through a Window," and "Scarlet." Those appeared on a deluxe edition of the band's 1981 album "October."

The first four songs come from a 1980 session. The next four (including the three released ones) come from a 1981. The next three after that are from a 1982 BBC TV show. That includes a version of "A Celebration," a good song that tends to get overlooked because it only appeared as the A-side of a single, and was rarely played in concert. Finally, the remaining three songs come from a 1983 session. However, this last session apparently was never actually broadcast. But since U2 is such a popular band, the recording somehow got bootlegged anyway.

The three songs from the 1982 TV show (tracks 9, 10, and 11) all have "[Edit]" in their names, because I had to do some editing for them. For one thing, an emcee talked over the starts and ends of some of the songs. I used the UVR5 program to get rid of that talking. I also had to fix some bits that got distorted by the talking.

This album is 53 minutes long.

01 I Will Follow (U2)
02 The Electric Co. (U2)
03 An Cat Dubh (U2)
04 Into the Heart (U2)
05 Boy-Girl (U2)
06 With a Shout (U2)
07 I Threw a Brick through a Window (U2)
08 Scarlet (U2)
09 Gloria [Edit] (U2)
10 A Celebration [Edit] (U2)
11 Rejoice [Edit] (U2)
12 Like a Song (U2)
13 Surrender (U2)
14 Sunday Bloody Sunday (U2)

https://www.upload.ee/files/16227842/UTOO1980-1983_BBSssnsVlum1_atse.zip.html

All I know about the cover photo of the band is taken is that it was taken in March 1981.

2 comments:

  1. Good morning my friend. Congratulations on your work, always exquisite. Your personal BBC project is incredible and encouraged me to enjoy artists I didn't even listen to. I eagerly await what’s next! My dream would be for you to find more stuff from a band called Firefall! Thank you so much for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't thank you enough. Love the rare U2!

    ReplyDelete