Monday, January 1, 2024

Squeeze - BBC Sessions, Volume 3: Rock Hour, Oxford Polytechnic, Oxford, Britain, 5-15-1981

This is the third Squeeze BBC album. It's another concert, which was televised at the time. All the performances from it are officially unreleased.

To be honest, I wasn't going to post this at first. It turns out that the date for this is the exact same date Squeeze released their great album "East Side Story." However, there are only three songs here from that album: "Is That Love," "Heaven," and "Messed Around." Most of the best songs weren't included, such as their big hit "Tempted." I'm guessing that's because the band mostly wanted to play songs the audience was familiar with. "Is That Love" had been released as a single a couple of weeks prior to the release of the album, and it was a hit, so at least they might have known that one.

Volume 4 in this series is a 1982 concert with more of the "East Side Story" songs, so I figure this one isn't that necessary. That's why I wasn't going to post it. However, there was an annoying hum all through the concert and I was able to get rid of it using the Izotope 10 audio editing program. So I figured I'll post this anyway because it sounds much better than previous versions found on the Internet.

Squeeze had a limited time slow for the TV broadcast of this concert. So it seems they were careful to make the most of their time, saying only a few words at most before each song, and usually going straight into the next song. 

This album is 52 minutes long.

01 talk (Squeeze)
02 Take Me, I'm Yours (Squeeze)
03 Another Nail in My Heart (Squeeze)
04 Separate Beds (Squeeze)
05 talk (Squeeze)
06 Slightly Drunk (Squeeze)
07 Out of Touch (Squeeze)
08 I Think I'm Go Go (Squeeze)
09 Is That Love (Squeeze)
10 Heaven (Squeeze)
11 Pulling Mussels [From a Shell] (Squeeze)
12 Yap Yap Yap (Squeeze)
13 Slap and Tickle (Squeeze)
14 Cool for Cats (Squeeze)
15 Up the Junction (Squeeze)
16 Messed Around (Squeeze)
17 Goodbye Girl (Squeeze)

https://www.upload.ee/files/16116241/SQUZE1981_BBSessonsVlum3RckHourOxfrdPlytchncOxfrdBrtain__5-15-1981_atse.zip.html

I couldn't find any good photos of the band in concert in 1981. So I made one by taking a screenshot of the official video for their song "Tempted."

No comments:

Post a Comment